Monday 1 December 2014

Pollocks Toy Museum (London Museum #15)





Some of you may have seen Pollocks Toy shop in Covent garden. Well this is Pollocks Toy Museum
also named after Benjamin Pollock (1856-1937) who printed theatrical sheets for use in toy theatres. The museum is on Scala Street in the West End of London about 10 min walk from Oxford Street.

These two houses make up Pollocks Toy Museum. The one on the right was built in the 1880s and the one on the left in the 1780s. There is a noticeable difference in the size of the rooms. the 18th cent house has quite low ceilings and tiny rooms. Each room is filled with cases of toys, games, dolls and so on.

There is quite a collection of Toy theatres in the museum but all the exhibits are behind glass so the reflections have made it difficult to take clear photos.


















These are English puppets known as Punch and Judy and have been around since the end of the 17th cent. Very common during the last cent to see a Punch and Judy show at the sea-side.













These are the stairs leading from the 19thC house to the 18thC house.
















A lot of the toys I remembered from my childhood. How to feel old in one easy lesson!

Sharing with Our World Tuesday




22 comments:

  1. Emergency ward 10 makes me feel old. I remember seeing that on the TV when I was a kid, trouble is they made a garage like that modle as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first Christmas I can remember. I was about 4 or 5 and my brother got the garage version. That must have been about 1953. Lawd ha' mercy.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing place, so much fun there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I have seen the toy shop in Covent Garden, but never went inside ! Next time for sure ! Thanks for the tip !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a teddy bear guy. So you know which shot I liked best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovbely place definitely next time I will visit it so it means next June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something for everyone's amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much history! I love the brightly colored building.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I love the old toys and the windows make it seem crammed full.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of a fascinating place. I can relate to those dolls! They look like dolls used to be!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a really fun place! I think I have a couple of those old Matchbox cars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Avoiding the clowns and dolls (scary to me) I could spend a day lost in nostalgia. Wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the story of the toy shop. It looks like such a wonderful and nostalgic place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that does indeed look like a fun place!! I could still spend a lot of time there in spite of being an old broad now!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delight! Great photos!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treat to visit a toy museum. After all, most of us remember our childhoods with fond memeories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. always had a fear of punch and Judy. Too much hitting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Matchbox toys - sheer nostalgia but now I couldn't afford to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes it feels like a tour through memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a charming place!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very interesting place with lots of atmosphere! Would love to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun museum to explore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.