Wednesday 3 December 2014

Seven Dials












This is Seven Dials in Covent Garden where seven streets converge. In the centre is a pillar, topped by a sundial  which has six not seven dials. The reason being that originally there was going to be six roads meeting here but the plans were changed to include another road. In the 1690s, the designer of the road layout, Thomas Neale, was trying to maximise the number of houses that could be built in this area so he decided there was room for another road. With the construction of Covent Garden Piazza nearby the housing was aimed at the rich upper classes.


 This sundial was built in 1694 by Edward Pierce and Thomas Neale. It was removed from here in 1773 and rebuilt in 1989.

11 comments:

  1. How brilliant that is but are there seven roads now. Got to see that if I'm up ithere

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely sundial so high up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quirky and a thing of beauty and of course references the blue face on so many English public clocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a story behind English clocks and blue faces? (Well of course I'm sure there is! I should have said what is the story . . . . )

      Delete
  4. Oops! It would have been difficult to squeeze a seventh one in. I love the huge hanging Christmas ornaments behind. You make me long to be in London at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My home town has "Five Points." Oh my gosh, it takes an hour to get through the intersections. The US needs to embrace roundabouts. (But the melting pot has too many idiots...there'd be more fender benders than successful crossings, I'm afraid.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful old sundial. Of course, you need sun to read one and in the picture, I can't tell what time it was! I guess I need a lesson on how to read one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting sundial. I'd love to see a shot of the intersection of those seven roads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting to see sundials so high! I would imagine they would be hard to read?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an amazing sundial - but the thought of an intersection where SEVEN roads meet makes my blood run cold!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.