Sunday 2 June 2013

Wakehurst Place (1)

Wakehurst Place is a National Trust property in East Sussex. It is the country estate of the Royal Botanic gardens at Kew and is the National Trust's most visited property. This was my first visit but it certainly won't be my last.

The mansion is surrounded by the most beautiful gardens with plants from around the world.




























































During WW2 it was home to the Canadian Newfoundland regiment. They kept carrier pigeons to relay messages back from the front line without being detected by radar. The pigeons were taken across the water in cages to Dieppe where they were released to carry combat and ground information back to the headquarters at Wakehurst.
This is a photo of a bus on the Western Front during WW1 that had been converted into a pigeon loft.

 

20 comments:

  1. What gorgeous grounds!!! How lucky that you were visiting right at the first flush of Spring! Love the Wisteria on the wall of the estate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful place! That house reminds me of the Biltmore Estate here in South Carolina. Maybe they copied if from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad this won't be your last visit, since it is so amazing! I was astounded by the flowers, and the story of the carrier pigeons, too. Thank you1 :-0

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much colour! Perfect time to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photos - and interesting history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow---that is a gorgeous place... The mansion is beautiful--but the gardens caught my attention BIGTIME. Thanks so much for showing this to us. Hope you do go back again!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are absolutely amazing windows and doors... but I am *in love* with that tree in the third photo! Just breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks now you made me want to go and vist, looks a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning views - the gardens are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pictures - if these soldiers went to Dieppe, it may have only been the pigeons that got home.

    Glad you liked the wordy post.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous castle with beautiful flowers and trees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place ! This vehicle for pigeons is very original.
    I should use pigeons instead of the post, I sent a letter to the USA and it took 2 months to get there !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful place, and wonderfull flowers.
    Thanks for visiting in my blogg.
    Now I found you, you have very nice blogg and lovely foots, so I'm your new reader.
    Regards from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  16. A nice treat! Beautiful gardens and those flowers....!!!!! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely place. The sculptures are unique and strolling in that beautiful garden must be a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the wisteria sneaking around the corner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.