Saturday 12 May 2012

Prado Museum

Another reason for visiting Madrid was to visit the Prado Art Gallery. I wasn't disappointed. It was easy to find your way around the galleries armed with an information leaflet showing the museum's most famous paintings and which rooms to visit to view them. So in a relatively short time it was possible to see the best of the Goyas, Velasquez, Rubens and Murillos. Fantastic!





Oysters galore.
Delicious fruit
Wandering around the back streets I stumbled across an amazing indoor food market.
Lots of ham on sale here


In the evening I managed to get involved in a demonstration in the main square protesting about the economic crisis in Spain. Apparently there were 100,000 people in the square - Puerta del Sol. Fortunately I managed to get back to the hotel safely although I heard that the demonstration went on well into the night.




2 comments:

  1. Being right in the thick of things there in Spain, it seems. Love the demonstration pictures, it really does feel like everyone is ready for something to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to the Prado in ages! I don't remember it very well (whereas the Louvre is burnt into my memory). It's good they have a leaflet guide that allows you to see the highlights in short order! Otherwise visiting the entirety of the museum is a whole day's affair!

    That was probably a protest organised by the 15-M movement, Spain's "Indignados". Things are probably going to start up again soon with President Rajoy's announcement yesterday of budget cuts and increased taxes... :s

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.