Wednesday 2 May 2012

Gurkha memorial

The first regiment of the Gurkhas was formed in Nepal in 1815. They have always been loyal to the British and in 1857 fought alongside British troops during the Indian Mutiny in the battle for Delhi. Since then they have been an intregal part of the British Army having fought beside them in many battles. This memorial to them and their bravery was unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II on 3rd Sept 1997 . It stands in Horse Guards Ave just off Whitehall. 
The inscription reads:
'Bravest of the brave
 Most generous of the generous
Never had country
More faithful friends than you.'



4 comments:

  1. What a nice memorial to those brave soldiers... No matter which war, there are so many brave men and women who fought for our countries. We need to remember ALL of them. God Bless all of the SOLDIERS.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about this memorial. Thank you for sharing it with me. I think I'm going to enjoy vicariously attending the Olympics with you, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great memorial in honour of the unsung heroes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.