Friday 4 May 2012

Fortnum and Mason








Fortnum and Mason is a department store on Piccadilly. It was founded in 1707 and is a unique, upmarket store. On the front of the building is the clock which chimes every 15 mins, but you need to be there on the hour to see Mr Fortnum and Mr Mason appear.





Their window displays are Christmas are some of the best in London. It is also famous for their hampers which started in Victorian times as a picnic hamper for the Great Exhibition. Now they are available all the year round and are famous around the world.
The store used to supply food and provisions for explorers on their major expeditions. Champagne and tins of quail in foie gras were shipped out to the men making their first attempt to climb Mount Everest!


 


3 comments:

  1. I've heard of this place, but I don't think I'll ever get the chance to shop there, unless I win the lottery or something :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have F&M merchandise in our large department sotres here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have a tin of tea from F%M that some friends brought me... but since it's English Breakfast (which I don't like) I haven't used any of it... :p

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.