Thursday 23 July 2015

Tom Cribb


Walking through from Leicester Square to Trafalgar Square I noticed this pub which appeared to have some age and possibly a history. I then noticed there was a  blue heritage plaque high up on the wall.






Tom Crib was the British bare - knuckle boxing champion between 1809 and 1822. He had his first fight  after  returning from the Navy. Cribb became a coal porter at Wapping and was known as the 'Black  Diamond'.
This pub which appears to date from the early 1900s was widely known as 'Cribb's Parlour' and featured in Thackery's 'Vanity Fair'. It was also referred to by Conan Doyle in Rodney Stone as 'Tom Cribb's Salon'. The name of the pub was officially changed in 1960 in his honour. So yes this pub does have a history.

11 comments:

  1. It does too. Just looking at it makes you think of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love addition tho the bigger building

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to come across things like that as you walk round

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of the pub. So much charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little building! I'd love to have a pint there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this Pub from my visits to my son when he lived in London ! I even made some drawings there How nice that this pub still exists !

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice slice of history, I hope it remains this way for a long time.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fun find. I love the blue and natural wood. Sure makes it stand out against the gray buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As well as a fascinating history it has a wonderful street front presence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bare-knuckle fighting - that still goes on in a lot of places these times too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if the spirit of Tom walks the halls at last orders!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.