Monday 6 July 2015

Last day in Vancouver

We began our last day in Vancouver at  the Capilano suspension Bridge Park.

The bridge is 140m long and 70m above the Capilano River. Walking across the bridge is quite unnerving as the more people on the bridge then the more it moves and sways.. Not a feeling I was particularly comfortable with



There is also a walkway amongst the treetops.


We then went back into town to  Canada Place to look at the large cruise ships that had docked.








Not too far from Canada Place is the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel with a repeated line of text going around the building: 'lying on top of a building the clouds looked no nearer than when I was lying on the street'. The 2 foot high letters surround the building from the 5th floor to the 22nd floor. It provides the demarcation between  the residential suites and the hotel below.




















The curved library building.




This is the Randall building with its iconic mural. It is based on a 1698 copper engraving by the German artist Christopher Weigel, showing a master goldsmith teaching his apprentices.


Even the man hole covers are decorative.








The Olympic Cauldron lit on 12th Feb 2010 to mark the opening of the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver.



We spent the rest of the day walking along sea wall by English Bay Beach and Sunset Beach














Burrard Street Bridge
Granville Bridge










A mural just below the bridge.








Painted grain silos on Granville Island.


The bubble maker on Sunset beach






This silhouette of an Inukshuk on the beach is an ancient symbol of the Inuit culture and is traditionally used as a landmark and navigational aid.



Watching the sun setting on my last evening.
 The next morning it was goodbye to Vancouver as we flew back to Calgary. My wonderful Canadian adventure had come to an end. This has been one of the best trips I have ever experienced and am indebted to my Canadian travel buddy, Marilyn, for making it possible.

29 comments:

  1. I've loved following you on this trip .. It really was one delight after another ...as always thank you for sharing the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the scenes...and the bubble maker!! But the suspension bridge? If it swayed a lot, I'd have been backtracking!!! My husband tried to get me to walk across the bridge near Canon City, Colorado...the Royal Gorge....no way José!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. last day, what a pity. I enjoyed you post from this trip. Now you have a lot of fine days to remember. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photography and amazing variety ~ Wouldn't enjoy the bridge much either ~ little out of my 'comfort zone' ~ but You Did it! ~ Wonderful trip!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, looks like you had an awesome time. But am so disappointed I didn't even know you were here. I'm glad your friend made such a visit possible for you and that you got to really enjoy your Canadian adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed all, but that second from last shot is amazing. What gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip that was. Loved the sunset photo. Looked like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip! Enjoyed all your photos and story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vancouver is such a beautiful city. Some of the best sceneries in the world.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great last day in one of my favorite cities. I love that bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous to view life from another country another culture and as in your tall building pics .... another perspective. You've had another great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right after you left the smoke from the BC wildfires moved in. You could hardly see your hand in front of your face from Vancouver all the way down to Bellingham where I live. You were really lucky! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't work out the lettering on the Fairmont. Early days to be objective but as we leave Toronto, I think I rather l liked Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely memories for me, thank you. Did you go to the Granville Island market too? I loved taking the very small ferry over there. What wonderful weather you had!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely shots of the park and the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Unnerving" is a good word to describe that walk across the bridge. It's a long time since we lived in the tree tops and most people aren't comfortable with heights, especially if there's movement. I live near Blackpool Tower wouldn't dream of going up there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great visit you must have had. Lovely pictures of a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved to see your photos and having sweet memories of all the places you visited. Those sweeping bridge I didn't cross, it fears me to death. I have the same feelings about my Canada visit, such a beautiful country and friendly people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to visit Vancouver and your pics make the city look like a wonderful place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful and interesting last day, except the wiggle waggle bridge, I think I would have become sick !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful shots of the place. The view of the suspension bridge is great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such s beautiful city. That sunset is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos of Vancouver!
    I particularly enjoyed the bubbles.
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful trip. I love your photo,s. I know those moving waving bridges are scary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WHOA! That's one HUGE bubble! The bridge over Capilano River is one I would never cross. I could never handle the motion. I have nightmares about bridges like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been to Vancouver a couple of times...but never walked over that suspension bridge. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dearest Fun 60; Great trip to Vancouver, so much fun you must have♪ The the suspension bridge must be scary but great scenery and wonderful colorful bubble♡♡♡
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vancouver sure is an arty city. I loved the swing bridge and the tree walk. I must back track and catch up on some of your days. Canada and Alaska was one of our best trips too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love those manhole covers. Here in Norway bigger towns and cities have their own depicting something special about the place. At least, the few towns I have been in have!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.