Monday 27 July 2015

Love at the Southbank

The Festival of love is on at the Southbank Centre in London. It includes artworks, installations, exhibitions as well as workshops. I have tried to capture a little flavour of the festival for you.



The Love flags are everywhere. Designed by Mark Titchener, he combined the lover's knot with rainbow colours to symbolise the work of the peace and gaypride movements.


Outside in front of the Royal Festival Hall are rooms created with colourful plastic walls. You enter from any direction and once inside this peaceful sanctuary you look out onto a different world.












Inside the Festival Hall, the Australian artist Nike Savvas has created yet more colour with these brightly coloured ribbons hanging from the ceiling. It is when they move in the breeze that the full effect can be appreciated.











Rather than try and explain this neon installation I have included the Southbank's explanation.










This installation is called Pulse and Bloom by Shilo Shiv Suleman. The fabricated lotus flowers have LED lights which are activated when you place your hand on a sensor. The flower then pulses with your heart rate. I enjoyed playing with this one.

The pulse sensor for you to lay your hand on and control the lights.



The festival is on until the end of July and is free to wander around and enjoy.

Sharing with Our World Tuesday


33 comments:

  1. What a fun festival. So colorful and a pretty exhibit. I love the lotus flowers. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes!! I do agree with Eileen!! Colorful and lovely indeed!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the colorful, creative artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That event is so colourful, imaginative, original, exciting and of course interactive. The artists are all to be congratulated for such a wonderful exhibition. Your pictures really bring it to life for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours are fabulous! Wish I had seen this in person but glad I got to see it through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful name for a festival ! And fantastic series of photos! Fun!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pulse and Bloom sounds like it would be fun to try. There is never too much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fabulous exhibition and good to see that bright exhibit by Australia's Nike Savvas but my favourites are the delightful Pulse and Bloom ''''oh! so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great exhibition, so colorful and interactive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can imagine how fun the lights are "in person". I love it all, color and lights.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder how long he took to hang up the ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The art installations and the light art are really beautiful and so are your photos!
    Nice share!
    Have a Great Week!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my favorite is the last installation - so beautiful! Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loud & proud comes across here they are something worth looking at and get the message across

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooooh I would LOVE to see that exhibition. I saw the Australian installation here in the art gallery. The pulsing flowers sounded fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful that you get to see all this for free. It looks like great fun.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice,fun and colorful. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the colour - anything to break up the grey of cities!

    Bridlington is an entrusting place to visit - especially once you leave the sea front! And the cliff are a 10 minute drive from there. I would say it would be worth a visit.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  19. a very beautiful post in every respect :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the creativity of it all and how it invites one to look at familiar things in a new way. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow...all this is so ingenious!! Love the pulse blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice photos.
    Please come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/variations.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely (smile) --- I wish I could see it, especially that last one, the pulse thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very beautiful all. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks like great fun! I went to a similar festival there last year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would LOVE to attend this festival ))! The pulsing flowers are neat, everything is bright and beautiful and original! Especially interesting to me that the neon artist look his fathers craft and turned it into art. So neat.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks exciting enough but where are the people?

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great series. Like the theme and so much creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks like such an amazing and fun place to visit! I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.