Sunday 24 April 2022

The Poppy Line






On Friday I decided to travel on a heritage steam train from Holt to Sheringham, a distance of about five miles. I drove to Holt station and walked back into the 50's as I heard the sound of the steam train in the distance. This is the North Norfolk Railway, also known as The Poppy Line. The line was closed during the 1960s by Dr Beeching who was responsible for closing many rural railway lines. The line was opened at Holt in 1989 through the dedication of volunteers. It was expanded over the next 20 years with the help of donations and lottery funding. Today it is run almost entirely by volunteers. The line is also known as The Poppy Line as poppies were abundant in the area during the 19th cent.


I stepped inside the ticket office and I was immediately taken back to my youth. No machines in sight, just a very courteous gentlemen selling tickets.



Out on the platform more volunteers awaiting the arrival of the train. Lots of reminders of the past with the gas lights lining the platform.






You hear the sound and see the steam long before the train comes into sight. I was very excited when I saw the train coming down the line.



For those rail enthusiasts out there, today's engine was a No 564 class Y14 0-6-6 built in 1918 at Stratford for the Great Eastern Railway.



The carriages are all different. There were open ones like this one or ones with a corridor on one side with doors leading off to enclosed seating areas.



I chose to sit in an enclosed seating area which I loved. I was surprised at how vividly memories returned of travelling with my family from Manchester to Huntly, Aberdeenshire ( changing trains in Glasgow and Aberdeen) for the Summer holidays. Mum would take all three children up on her own and we would spend the whole summer staying with a variety of relatives and then my Dad would join us for the last two weeks before returning to Manchester by train.







I clearly remember the mirror above the seating.


The signal box







There are pheasants everywhere.







The steam momentarily enveloping the surrounding countryside.





You can just see the guard surveying the scene as we approach Weybourne station.




It wasn't long before we arrived at our destination of Sheringham.
Sheringham first opened in 1887. it has been restored as close as possible to its 1955 appearance when British Rail were responsible for the line. The station houses the booking office, waiting room and buffet

The old luggage office buffet was used to store the many suitcases and trunks that the Victorian tourists arriving in Sheringham required.
Today it is a cafe where I enjoyed a cup of tea and cake.





I then had a look around the town. Being a seaside town it had the usual array of shops selling beach necessities; a number of cafes as well as souvenir shops. 







I liked this notice outside the community cafe. You have to read the small print to appreciate the humour of whoever wrote it.









Having wandered around the town I wandered back to the station to wait for my train. I was told I could walk across the lines to get to the other platform to take a few photos.


I sat on this bench which was surrounded by flowers and shrubs until I heard the sound of the train coming.













On the journey back with my head hanging out of the window, I wanted to savour every moment of this trip back in time.



I didn't bother buying any souvenirs in Sheringham but I did treat myself to some dressed crab for my evening meal. As I am in self catering I haven't bothered going out to dinner in the evenings, I brought food with me and am supplementing it with local delicacies. The crab was delicious.

11 comments:

  1. This was delightful I really enjoyed it thank you so much! Wishing you the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been on that line for a long time, but I don't suppose it will have changed much! Your photos bring back many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been on that train and had lunch at Sheringham station cafe. Reminded me how lovely it was. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very nice day trip. It had everything to make it memorable including bringing back memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love train rides like this :)
    Lovely post and photographs, and that crab looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks so original aside from obligatory modern fire extinguishers and an unfortunate choice of concrete blocks for the signal box.

    The engine from 1918 is very old and I wonder why such an old model was chosen, no doubt with a good reason.

    At times people complain about modern train seats but the old ones don't look so comfortable.

    It looks like a perfect day out and I wish I could have joined you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip! Thank you so much for sharing it with me, and I would have loved to taste the crab, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You noted that the Poppy Line was named because poppies were abundant in the area during the C19th. Perfect timing! Today is an important public holiday in Australia and New Zealand for ANZAC Day. People try to get to a dawn service at a shrine, to remember the WW1 servicemen who never returned. And everyone wears a poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite it being in the next County, that's one heritage railway I've not travelled on. It looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nostalgic. Our Grandson loved riding on a steam train when we were up in the lake district recently - he hardly ever goes on public transport. Your crab supper looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the tea shop, funnily enough I use to collect vintage tea sets.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.