Saturday 9 April 2022

3 days in Paris

We have now returned home after a very successful short 3 day break to Paris. My 7yr old granddaughter has always shown an interest in my travels and was keen to come with me one day. During those long months of lock down I promised that once the world opened up again I would take her to Paris. Last week it finally happened. We travelled by the Eurostar train from London to Paris. A journey of just two and a half hours. We stayed in a hotel outside the centre of Paris but the advantage of the hotel was its close proximity to the Metro.  If you have been to Paris you will know that you can travel all over the city via the Metro.



She is very interested in art and wanted to visit Paris to see the Mona Lisa.  I am pleased to say that they have made it much easier to see this painting with an organised queueing system so it didn't take long to get to the front of the queue.








We spent 4 hours in the Louvre. After we had exhausted the Italian artists then the French and then the British we moved on to the sculptures. Here E is trying to work out whether it was easy or hard to model for the sculptor.

As the Louvre was once a palace, the ceilings in some of the rooms are stunning. 













I must admit I was exhausted by the time we left the museum. However, the day was not over and we then went to Montmartre to watch the portrait artists earning their keep drawing tourists. It was interesting to watch but we weren't tempted to have our portraits drawn.



The weather was cold and rainy most of the time we were there, so I had to find alternatives to the gardens I had planned to visit. This is the  Galeries Lafayette, a large department store.


Great views from the terrace on the roof of the store.




We had a good laugh together as we tried 'escargots' for the first time. I might add that will be the last time!!!

No trip to Paris is complete without a cruise on  the River Seine.














She loved taking photos at the Rodin museum.



We had a great time together and E is hoping I might take her with me on my next trip!

 

14 comments:

  1. Four hours in a museum would do me in for the rest of the day.

    E must be adventurous to try escargot. I am not that adventurous.

    So it was an education and a fun time for E in Paris. It's great that she enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took my children on holidays, but they mainly preferred going to youth camps and friends' beach homes than being seen in public with their parents ha ha. But the grandchildren think the grandparents are both learned and experienced, thankfully.

    My son and my oldest granddaughter spent 2 months in Europe this European winter, and apart from freezing weather, she had the best time ever in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria etc

    I love your granddaughter, sight unseen, since she was very interested in art and wanted to see the Mona Lisa. Was she also impressed with Galeries Lafayette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She preferred the art galleries to the shops.

      Delete
  3. What a great trip. She is taller than my granddaughter #3 who turned 8 in February. So where does she want to go next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful trip. Galeries Lafayette was the place I was trying to remember when we went. We couldn't go to any museums because it was Saturday and they were all closed. The boats on the Seine were not operating. I think it was a strike but wee still had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet! E looks to be a pretty great traveling companion for you: interested, adventurous, and untiring. I look forward to seeing some of her photography soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. You were both brave to try the escargot. Not something I would attempt. I hope your granddaughter's interest in art continues. You will be able to have some lovely outings/trips with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful thing to do for your granddaughter. A great way to educate her.She is pretty amazing to be interested in all those things at the young age of seven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice time you had with your grand daughter ! I was so disappointed when I saw the Mona Lisa for the first time, the painting is so tiny that you almost need a magnifier ! I wanted to take Toby to the African museum which is really wonderful but my son wanted to see the new Waterloo museum, apparently Toby wasn't too impressed ! Be happy that you are back, no Paris is a battle field with the elections !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't you have a wonderful time with your grand-daughter, I did enjoy seeing the photographs here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww that's neat about your grand daughter being into art, I'm sure she will remember the experience as for the snails I don't think I could ever bring myself to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I loved this! I am arriving Paris this week. We are taking our five adult daughters for a week. We have all been before but not together. I have a couple of granddaughters that want to go next time. E will always remember this very special trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.