Welcome to my blog

This is it! I've given up work -retired from the rat race and am about to start on a 10 year adventure, doing all those things I've been meaning to do but never had the time to do them. I've offloaded my responsibilities and it is now my time. So follow my adventures and see whether I actually manage anything!



Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Swimming

As many of you probably know I am trying to tick off as many things on my bucket list as I can. One of the more difficult challenges I set myself was swimming 1km.This equates to 50 lengths of the pool at my local gym. The first time I tried was about 18months ago and I completed it quite easily so that wasn't much of a challenge, but I had poodled along doing breast stroke so I decided that couldn't count and that if I wanted to complete this challenge I would have to swim the km doing front crawl. Now this was a challenge as I couldn't manage 1 length (20m).


Swimmer : Swimmer breathing performing the crawl stroke
(Not me!)
From then on every time I went swimming I tried to increase the number of lengths but it was slow going. After a while I was doing 2 lengths quite regularly but then I would have to stop as I was out of breath. I just couldn't get it right. The breathing and the leg kick were all wrong. I knew I was trying to swim far too fast rather than a more relaxed style. I have to admit I gave up the idea but then at the beginning of 2013 I tried again. This time I watched You Tube videos, read about breathing techniques and slowly but surely I managed to increase the distance so that I was alternating 4 lengths of front crawl with 4 lengths of breast stroke. Then at the beginning of Feb I was doing 6 lengths of front crawl to 2 lengths of breast stroke. The big breakthrough came at the end of last month when I decided to try and do 200m (10 lengths). It was hard going but after 100m I finally settled into a rhythm and finished up swimming 17 lengths. I thought I'd cracked it. Each time I go to the gym I always finish with a swim but I never repeated that distance until today.

As I was going for a walk later today I had a shorter work out in the gym and decided on a short swim. After about 10 lengths of various strokes I noticed  I had the lane to myself so I thought I ought to do a few lengths of front crawl just until someone else came into the lane. But after 10 lengths the pool was still fairly quiet. I then settled into a more rhythmic style. Not the most co-ordinated or technically correct style but nevertheless it was front crawl. After 20 lengths I was ecstatic. It was the most I had ever done. Still no-one got into my lane. 25 lengths, then 30 lengths. Could this be the day? With 15 lengths to go one of my ear plugs came out. Should I stop to retrieve it? No.no my brain was telling me. Yes,yes my ear was shouting at me but I carried on, fearful that someone would jump into my lane and put me off my stroke. Then after 40mins of continuous swimming I had finally completed my challenge. What a great feeling as I dragged myself out of the pool. I never thought I would manage to complete this task but as they say 'if at first you don't succeed then try,try again'.





 

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I have taught myself the same thing, little at a time. I have only made it for 30 minutes, but I could probably do longer if I set myself a challenge like you did. Kudos to you, and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I'm so glad you persevered and achieved your goal. Wow, I must say I am extremely impressed. You GO GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. You must be quite fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! Swimming has always been difficult for me, but wow - you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, I must admit 1Km would proably tax me today as I have not been swimming for years. I swam 7 miles down the Thames once something I would not want to do again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are a tough one! Great you made it, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations ! What a performance ! I have no ambitions anymore, I just do everything for fun. I swim with pleasure my lines up and down, the head far out of the water (I hate water in my face) and then there are always people to chat with ! Aqua gym is nice too and helps to keep me in form, just as the yoga gymnastic. But there is no competition at all, not even with myself,lol ! Not quiet true we had to do a shoulder stand in Yoga, most of the women didn't manage it but I did and I was very proud ! At nearly 70, not so bad !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take my hat off to you! We go for a swim 3 times a week but do mostly walking in the pool. Good exercise and easy on the back :). You deserve a KK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swim in the ocean near my home, but do not go out too far, because of whirlpools and rip tides. Then there are always the Lakes. I learned to swim at "Lily Lake", a short 30 min walk from home - back in the day when all neighbourhood kids would take a bottle of water and sandwich and be gone for the day. Congratulations of your completing this item - it sounded so challenging during the read and is quite an accomplishment. I am first time visitor and enjoyed what I have seen, browsing through your posts. I shall return - have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.