Welcome to my blog

This is it! I've given up work -retired from the rat race and am about to start on a 10 year adventure, doing all those things I've been meaning to do but never had the time to do them. I've offloaded my responsibilities and it is now my time. So follow my adventures and see whether I actually manage anything!



Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Cairns

As I only have one full day in Cairns I wanted to make the most of it. So I was up with the sun.

I took this from the balcony before heading off for some breakfast. I then went for a walk along the promenade. The tide was just on its way out so there were a lot of birds around looking for their breakfast in the receding tide.

A pair of royal spoonbills looked quite comical walking along the beach.
 
I think this is a curlew as it has the very long beak
 
These are Australian pelicans and they are absolutely huge. As I was awalking along the prom I was quite surprised that there was no-one swimming or even paddling in the sea and then I read this sign:
 
 
 There was a beautiful swimming lagoon a bit further on
 
 
 There were lots of other people strolling or jogging along the pathway so it was easy to find someone to take a photo
 
 
One of the great things about Cairns are all the facilities they have to encourage people to keep fit.
 
It certainly sets an example to other towns. There were a number of outdoor gyms beside the walkway
 
I walked round as far as I could go which was to the marina and then left the sea to go into the town for a look.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I read all the activities they have on the esplanade. I was impressed and would love it! Great shots. Glad you didn't venture into the water to visit the crocs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! I love that town for its free activities! Talk about thinking about something positive for your citizens! ;o)

    Beautiful photos again! Loved the birds! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch out for the crocs. It doesn't look the best at low tide and the reef prevents any surf rolling in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.