Sunday 30 September 2012

The Ngong Ping cable car

Today I was off in search of the Big Buddha on Lantau Island. All the guide books say not to visit at the weekend as that is when many locals like to visit. Unfortunately I am only here until Monday and that is a bank holiday so I was prepared to queue which was just as well as it took nearly an hour to get into a cable car. The cable car has only been open since 2007 before that you either had to walk or catch a bus.

The cable car is a 5.7km ride from Tung Chung and takes about 25minutes. On the left of this picture is Hong Kong International airport.


It takes you over the stunning scenery of Lantau country park.


There are 2 types of car. I travelled in the 'Crystal' one which has a glass bottom (sorry about the feet!)

 


Finally the Big Buddha came into view.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs, superb views. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feet make the photo all the more interesting. This reminds me of going over the Alps … were it not for the Buddha at the end. What grandeur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! Glass bottom?!?! Awesome! I didn't have that option when I went!!! Did you notice the paths beneath you with all those steps? Must be QUITE a climb up to the Buddha on foot! Since I started hiking again a few years ago whenever I remember that Buddha I feel like I'd like to try the climb...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.