Sunday 30 September 2012

Po Lin Monastery and the Big Buddha

The Po Lin Monastery was built in 1920 by 3 Zen masters mainly because of the serenity that the surrounding area provides. I imagine before the onslaught of tourists it would have been the ideal spot for meditation and contemplation. The giant Buddha was constructed in 1993. It is 23metres tall and  is supposed to be the biggest, bronze seated Buddha in the world. I don't know if that is true but it certainly looks huge when you get up close.




 Still smiling - that's because I haven't started climbing all those steps up to the Buddha yet!

I don't know who the girl is but she gives you a better idea of the size of the statue


I'm not sure who this is a statue of but I liked the tranquil expession.


The smell of incense was overpowering as you approached the monastery.


 I've never seen anything like the size of these incense sticks.

These were taken inside the monastery
A giant bell



A stone carving on the outside of the temple

As I walked around I didn't find any information about the moonastery and I haven't got the time to research the history before I leave here tomorrow so I have just given you a general impression of some of the places I have visited.
 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos!

    I got to visit the Buddha during my layover in HK on my way back from a visit to New Zealand 4 1/2 years ago. I had an afternoon available so caught a bus from the airport then the cable car up. I was blown away by all this, amazing!!! The monastery I was only able to quickly look around, no time for more as things were closing (they close so early there!) and I was at risk of missing the last car down! (which I did and ended up on a bus with a driver kind enough to let me give her what coins I had left which didn't make the full fare)

    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures. I love the Buddha shots, and it really was important to have a person in the picture to get an idea of the immense size! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.