Thursday 13 July 2023

Hacking update

 I apologise again to those bloggers who received a scam email from my account.  I spent 3 hours on a chatline to my service provider yesterday sorting it out. Of course it would have taken a tenth of the time if I could have had a conversation over the phone with someone but no it had to be via a chatline. 

Although I had changed my password as soon as I knew, my account had been diverted to the hacker so I could not receive or send emails. This was eventually sorted and for a short time I was able to see the emails that had been sent. The most frightening thing was that the emails had not just been sent to people in my address book but they had been cc'd to numerous others that might be in the contact section of my friends' email accounts.   Therefore hundreds of those letters were sent out in my name. 

I hope people realised the scam and if you did receive the email it might be a good idea if you changed your password. I only know of one person so far who took it at face value and was on the point of purchasing an Apple voucher for £200 which was what the hacker was requesting, when the shopkeeper became suspicious and asked if they could see the email.  Luckily the transaction was cancelled and my friend did not lose her money.

7 comments:

  1. It looks as if your Facebook a/c may have been hacked too as I tried to contact you on messenger rather than e-mail to check/alert you about a possible hack and today I've had a reply on messenger that is trying to carry on the scam. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to me that I received the email to two different email addresses, both of which must have been in your address list. Yahoo let the email through. Gmail caught it and sent it to spam. I would not have sent you a £200 gift card anyway, instead directing you to my other website where you can sign up and earn £100 an hour while working from home, no risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry Gattina I didn't mean to delete your comment. I would advise that you never reply to a hacker as that will give them access to your account. I suggest you change your password with email and FB. I have only just gained access and control over my email and FB accs but will delete my FB acc as I never use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've gotta be so careful these days with online security. Luckily I've never had an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe in capital punishment for anyone.. for any crime. But this week there has been a spammer in Japan, writing as a Telstra Department collecting overdue money, who I hope falls into the ocean and gets eaten alive by a pack of sharks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.