Monday 10 July 2023

Day 7 St Louis

 

Packed up and left the hotel in St Louis taking our luggage with us as we didn't have that much.  Our train didn't leave for Chicago until mid afternoon so we had plenty of time to try and see a little more of the town. We had booked a riverboat trip this morning assuming it wouldn't be busy first thing on a Monday morning. 

The famous St Louis Arch.






The boat was busier than I thought so it was worthwhile booking. Even though it was a sunny day it was quite windy and cold on the boat.
Although the captain gave a commentary he didn't say much about the history of the river. He pointed out a few things on the shore but I have to say it wasn't one of the most interesting of river trips I've ever been on . I'll probably never see the Mississippi again so I didn't want to miss an opportunity of a closer look.



The tow boats can push up to 45 barges.




We were only on the boat  for an hour so we got the metro which crosses the river just so we could go over the Eads bridge which has cars on one level and the trains on the lower level.




From the bridge we then took the Metro to the Blues Museum. The Museum went through the history of the Blues from its African routes to how it has influenced so many rock and roll performers today.














After an enjoyable hour or so it was time to go to the station to pick up the Amtrak train back to Chicago. Not sure why but we were given seats in the business class carriage but we had a very comfortable journey back.










5 comments:

  1. I rather like that the tow boat pushes the barge, rather than towing the barge. Moving freight by boats sounds very preferable to freight being moved by trucks, lorries.
    We had a pianola and it was rather amazing that what seemed to be a primitive system worked so well. It cost a bit to buy but I think we sold it for a little better price, and we had an awful lot of fun with it. The Blues museum sounds so interesting. Along with your own country, the US seems to do museums quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reinstalled Chrome, and it also seems to be working. Putting this through to see if it does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your post, suddenly I remembered that we crossed St. Louis and we also made a tour on the Mississippi ! Yes, you make me dig out very very old memories until 1971 ! It's interesting for me to review places, when we didn't have all this digital equipment and I only have Polaroid photos but not much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have crossed the Mississippi as a child, but further north. The blues museum I'd go for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've seen more of St Louis than I have -- sorry we missed the Blues Museum.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.