Sunday 4 September 2022

Regent's canal, King's Cross.


This is a photo of a section of the Regent's Canal which is close to King's Cross St Pancras station. There was much to see in this one snapshot of the canal. The building being constructed is the new headquarters of Google in the UK. It will be 330m long, employ 4000 people and will cost £1billion. To the left of the construction site is a restaurant called the Gas Station. For decades it was  a petrol station but it has been recently converted and they have erected a small section of a gas holder or gasometer which make it stand out. a little further down the canal there are three gasholders  which have been given a new life. Two of the three sit around apartment blocks and the third is a small park.  
This photo was taken a few years ago when they were building the apartments. Next time I visit I will take a photo to show you how it looks now that the work is finished.







Can you see the two arched buildings and what looks like a church steeple in the background?
Well those are the glass roofs of King's Cross station and it isn't a church steeple it is the clock tower of St Pancras station. If you ever come to London via the Eurostar  then you will arrive at St Pancras station.

In the foreground there are two narrow boats moored. The one furthest away from the tow path was like a summer's garden. It had so many plants on it I really wanted a closer look but this was the best I could do.

A little further along the towpath I could see the'Word on the Water ' book barge.

Out on the canal eyeing up his next feed was a heron.

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting to learn about this place. I do look forward to seeing the finished apartments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always interesting to read about London's canal system!!! Have you ever been to the Canal Museum? I don't think it's too far from where you were....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been some years since I wandered around that area. It is very interesting. I love walking along the rivers and canals. Good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kings Cross has more appeal than a Google HQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That whole canal area and behind Paddington Station is so interesting. It's nice to have the canal boats giving some colour to the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We definitely don't have canals or those sorts of boats here but I think they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of that book barge. I read a book sometime ago about a bok barge in France. What a delightful way to glide along the river. Happy travels, stay safe, and thank you for stopping by my blog last week. We have been away and only just catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of a book barge, but why not? If they have an espresso machine on board and some deck chairs, they could make great business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those canal boats are homes, correct? A different sort of life that I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big changes coming (and I do mean big -- that Google hqrts is a city in itself! We fell in love with those unique narrow boats . I love knowing there is a book barge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those two narrow boats look so nice.
    Good to see the heron too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. My condolences on the death of your Queen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.