Thursday 15 September 2022

Travel in London

 I ventured into London yesterday as I wanted to see an art exhibition at the Tate Britain before it ends this weekend. I knew London would be busy as it was the day the Queen's coffin was ceremonially moved from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall in Westminster Palace. I would have watched but I didn't arrive in London until 10.30 which was much too late to find a good viewing spot. What I hadn't expected was the number of road closures, even Trafalgar Square was closed off.

When I say closed off, I don't mean just a cordon across the road but they had erected these high green barriers that you couldn't see through or over.


  

 Security was at its highest with police, soldiers and security guards everywhere. It had been planned down to the tiniest detail but then Operation London Bridge has been regularly updated since it was first planned out in the 60s. Each member of the important Royals has a funeral plan in the name of one of the bridges over the Thames.

These people probably had the best view of all  but I expect the police were up there as well.
This group were standing on top of four telephone boxes!

It has been interesting watching the various ceremonies that tradition dictates. Being over 70 years since the Queen succeeeded to the throne we have only seen her Coronation on the TV but this time cameras were there to record all the duties and ceremonies a new monarch has to perform. The only problem for me was getting home!






U

12 comments:

  1. Good that you saw the colour and movement. Closing off Trafalgar Square seems strange but maybe to prevent a crowd gathering there. It shouldn't be hard for you to return home, but...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine trying to navigate those crowds. Glad you made it home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Australia didn't have tv until the end of 1956, just in time for the Olympic Games. But I remember Queen Elizabeth's tour of Melbourne in March 1954. My dad managed to get us seats inside the Melbourne Cricket Ground, so I have linked to the front page of The Age for that amazing day:
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/her-majesty-the-queens-royal-tours-of-melbourne-20220909-h26a03.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think you picked the wrong day to go to the museum? I think the crush of people would bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's understandable that there would be such protocols in place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting to see all this from your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like chaos even though it has been planned and updated for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be frustating not to be able to cross the city....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strangely enough I just got back from London where I traveled from Canada never expecting, of course, for the Queen to die during the week I was there. It was historic! I joined the crowds. The Tube was malfunctioning, however, in many places so long walks were at play, giving me an opportunity to see more of beautiful vibrant London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's shocking that our cities need such levels of security. What a state the country is in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I imagine the amount of people wanting to pay respects to the queen is going to outweigh any plans you might have, so much traffic too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not surprised by the level of security.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.