Friday 3 June 2022

Platinum Jubilee

  Yesterday, the 2nd June, was the beginning of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Seventy years on the throne is something to celebrate and yesterday the celebrations began with the Trooping of the Colour. In the Middle Ages each Lord or Baron flew his banner so his followers could distinguish him in battle.These flags became known as 'the Colours'. During Queen Anne's reign the number of Colours per regiment were restricted to two. The role of the Colours was to rally the troops during a battle so it was imperative that the soldiers recognised their own Colours. Hence the need to display them regularly. This was done by parading the troops and an officer marching along the ranks holding the 'Colours'. Trooping the Colour is believed to have first been performed after the monarchy was restored during the reign of Charles II (1660-85) and was used  to mark the official birthday of the sovereign. The Trooping of the Colour is an annual event and since her accession the Queen has always been present. Sadly this year she wasn't able to be there to take the salute, which was performed by Prince Charles instead. This year it was the turn of the 1st battalion Irish Guards to Troop their Colour.    

 I arrived at The Mall, the road from Buckingham Palace to Horse Guards Parade, before 8am but there were already thousands of people there. Many had camped out overnight to get a good view of the procession along The Mall. 

I brought the grandchildren into London to look at the flags etc a couple of days ago as I knew it would be far too crowded for them to see anything on the day.


They did see the Changing of the Guard though (which happens daily) and so got a little idea of what was going to happen.



I imagine these gentlemen in their top hats and tails would be viewing the ceremony from one of the VIP stands rather than the side of the road.
These ladies were dressed for the occasion.




St James's Park which runs alongside The Mall was also filling up quickly with people hoping to catch a glimpse of the troops.
As the crowds were about 10 to 12 deep lining the Mall I decided to just walk around and soak up the wonderful joyful atmosphere. This is the first real celebration we have experienced since 2019 and people were making the most of it.

Many of the guards who were not involved in the procession today were on duty helping with security and chatting to the public.
After wandering around the park and chatting to lots of people I decided to go to the other side of the park on Birdcage Walk and see whether I could get a glimpse of the troops leaving Wellington Barracks. There was hardly anybody there and I was easily able to watch the guards getting ready to leave.



The first of the guards to leave turned right which meant they were not part of the procession but were going directly to Horse Guards Parade.




I could see one of the bands getting ready to leave.
I wasn't sure which way the band would be going.




I wonder how many times the band has practised leaving the barracks whilst marching, playing an instrument and turning the corner!

This was the first band to leave the barracks so I assume would be leading the procession down the Mall.


All in perfect step with one another.



Other regiments of the guards followed.




The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery also left the barracks.
The guns will be used later in the day to fire a gun salute to the Queen.







One of the many mounted police that were on parade.


I could still see lots of guards waiting to leave the barracks, but they were exiting from another gate which I couldn't access. I was happy that I had seen a little of the procession. Those guards on horseback and the Prince of Wales, Prince William and Princess Anne who were also on horseback would join the procession to Horse Guards Parade from the Palace. I decided I would leave the area and find a quiet cafe for a short while before returning and hopefully see the fly past. Leaving was easier said than done as I was going against the flow of human traffic. I still am not sure how I managed it but I got across the road, through the crowds and eventually made it to St James's Park tube station where I took the tube to Sloane Square. The station and its surrounds were dangerously overcrowded and as I arrived at Sloane Square I heard that that St James's Park station was now closed as was entrance to St James's park. Phew I got out just in time!



After a reviving cup of tea and a sit down I made my way back via a circuitous route on the underground to The Strand. I knew I would never get anywhere near The Mall. I was hoping to get to Trafalgar Square but that was also full. The whole area was closed to traffic as throngs of people were still coming into London on trains into Charing Cross.






I found a place to stand next to these colourful gentlemen and didn't have long to wait.

The 70 aircraft taking part in the fly past over Buckingham Palace flew over the Strand and then it's a direct line to the Palace where the Queen was on the balcony with other members of the Royal Family.









This was my favourite section of the flypast.
And finally it was the Red Arrows that completed this amazing display.



Although I didn't see the Royal family or the main procession I am still glad I went and I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and camaraderie of everyone I spoke to today. 

12 comments:

  1. Looks like it was crazy mad busy but so glad you went up and enjoyed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you got to see a lot more that most people did on the Mall, I must admit I would love to have seen the flypast

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how people are dressing in the flag, we celebrate Queen's Birthday on Monday so it's a public holiday here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful colour and movement. The plane formation of seventy was clever. It really is a once in a lifetime experience for most who were there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful celebration of an incredible achievement. Are there any women in the Colour Guard or the Band?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos and memories! I was entralled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched it on tv here, impressive celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some good views of the marching bands by going round to the "back door"! Much better than many people waiting and lovely photos of the flypast

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have known you would be close to and soaking up the London action. Must admit I watched most of it on the News rather than spend the days watching TV. It's a bit far to come to London for us up here in Lancs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you to be in the crowd amid all the excitement. What a joy to see even from faraway on television from Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you're braver than me - I wouldn't have coped with all those crowds but you got some amazing photos! Thanks for sharing and the info about the trooping of the colours. I watched it all on TV. There was clearly a great atmosphere at the event itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.