Sunday 12 June 2022

ABBA Voyage

 

Last Sunday I went to see the ABBA Voyage concert.

My friend and I had tickets for the dance floor rather than seats. I wasn't sure what to expect with this virtual concert but it was incredible. I have never experienced anything like it. This is a description from the BBC website:

'To create the spectacle, the band performed in motion capture suits for five weeks, with 160 cameras scanning their body movements and facial expressions. Those became reference points for hundreds of animators and visual effects artists to create avatars of the band in their heyday. Affectionately known as "Abba-tars", the characters are not 3D holograms - as everyone involved in the production is at pains to point out.Instead, the characters appear on a massive, 65million pixel screen, with lights and other effects blurring the boundaries between the digital elements and the "real world" in the arena.'

There was a live orchestra and singers and I found it hard to believe that I wasn't watching the real Abba in concert except that they haven't changed in 40 years. It needs to be seen to be believed. Because of the technology needed for it to work, the concert takes place in a specially built arena near the Olympic Park in London. I believe it will be on show here for the next couple of years. I imagine there will be similar concerts around the world if this one proves to be successful.



No photography was allowed but I did take a very quick photo on my phone which is not very good. here is a link to the official trailer:

11 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, I remember the original ABBA very well, my mother use to have all of their records when I was little. Sounds like it was fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a dancing queen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, though I must admit they are not a band I would have gone to see. The one I wish I had seen was Queen when Freddy was with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. So strange those holograms concerts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. was the ABBA Voyage Concert , with its clever new technology, invented because of the long lockdowns and years without safe travel? I loved ABBA as a teen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased you enjoyed it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks amazing. I loved ABBA and would like to see that show. I wonder if it ever will come down under.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a treat! ABBA provided the soundtrack for some great years of my life. Can’t believe that technology.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.