Friday 27 May 2022

The Elizabeth Line

 


On Tuesday the 24th May 2022 the long awaited Elizabeth Line finally opened to the public. The new railway stretches 100km from Reading and Heathrow in the West to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the East. The trains will operate in three different sections and it was the first section from Abbey Wood to Paddington which opened yesterday. It is hoped that the whole route will be opened by the Autumn. It will increase London's rail capacity by 10% and cut many journey times by half.  Three and a half years late in opening with a four billion overspend it is finally here.

As it happened I was leading a walk around Canary Wharf on Tuesday so it was an opportunity not to be missed. I had to have a ride on the new trains.

The Canary Wharf station is the largest on the line and connects the Canary Wharf business area with the City of London, the West End and Heathrow airport. It provides an interchange with Canary Wharf Jubilee underground station, the DLR station and a link to National Rail stations

The ship like design is 250m long and is surrounded by the water of West India North Dock and still allows a navigable channel for boats within the dock.
The station is 28m below a five storey mixed use development of retail and leisure facilities. The upper level of the roof top garden is covered with a 310m wooden open lattice roof which lets in the light and rain for natural irrigation. The garden and some of the businesses have been open since 2017 and the station should have been opened in 2018. So I have also been awaiting its opening for some time mainly out of curiosity rather than a need, although it will probably prove useful if I need to get to Heathrow airport.

There were very long queues early in the morning as people were desperate to be on the first trains. I waited until after midday when the queues had subsided. I was astonished to discover that a large number of people had travelled from around the world to be here today so that they could travel on the Elizabeth Line on the day of its opening.

The escalators taking you down four levels below ground to get to the trains.






Very spacious concourse.

As this is a new station it is fitted with platform screen doors, separating the platform from the train tracks. Many of the stations on the line are existing stations which have had new platforms added.

The inside of the train is similar in design to the Jubilee trains except it is all new. However the ride was so much smoother and quieter, I loved it. I only travelled to the next station at Custom House.



This station is above ground and outdoors so there were no platform screen doors and I could see the train more clearly with its purple and lilac colours.




My souvenir of the day was an underground map showing the Elizabeth Line. The line is shown in purple. It is not a solid line but is shown as two parallel lines to distinguish it from the Underground lines. Although the train does run underground in parts of Central London, most of the route is above ground so it was decided it would not be added to the eleven underground lines. This pleased me no end as I still have another 110 stations to visit on my 'Above the Underground' challenge.

9 comments:

  1. As you may guess I've already seen a lot about opening and first trips on the Elizabeth Line. But I didn't know about the rooftop garden at Canary Wharf. No doubt Geoff Marshall will inform me about it soon. I think the train is rather better than the Jubilee trains. Smooth ride, speed and air con is what I care about. It's a great photo of you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking me along! So glad to hear it's finally done and you got to ride it on the first day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to ride it on the opening day - although we have actually ridden on the trains when we were still living in Forest Gate as they've been using them on the Shenfield to Liverpool Street section of the line for a while now. Now we're in Highams Park (on the Overground) but it will still make getting to Heathrow much easier for us when the line is fully open or further west if the need takes us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also meant to add that it's not really so surprising it was late and so over budget. It's been a massive construction project and I'm sure there were more than a few surprises and hiccups along the way. (A nephew of ours was working on the project for a while and he said it was a nightmare.) Also once everything was nearly ready it was likely a case of damned if we do and damned if we don't when it came to testing out all the systems, safety procedure etc - doing things properly and delivering even later caused dissatisfaction but if they'd rushed things and opened earlier but then had problems or worse that would also have been wrong. Wouldn't have wanted to be in charge of those decisions lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful, one more reason to admire your public transportation system (and one more reason to wish ours was more like yours). I saw a picture of Queen Elizabeth being there for the dedication -- she's amazing! I'm glad you got to be there for "opening day" -- thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It caused all sorts of upheavals in Reading where it will start and I saw the trains in the sidings there years ago, thought they looked quite posh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing how it goes for miles, we need something like that here

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the colour of the trains. They sound a comfy ride. Nice shot of you having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is time I got back to London. Perhaps next year, funds and other plans permitting.
    I used to park at Heathrow and take the tube into the city whenever I visited (when I lived in Wiltshire). In fact, the tube was the thing that got me hooked on London.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.