Monday 27 April 2020

Out for a walk

On my return from Leeds I did a quick turnaround and packed up the car with all the things I might need over the next couple of months.  My daughter, sil and children live just half an hour's drive from me. As she has a chronic illness it was thought the best solution would be for me to move in to help with the kids. That was 6 weeks ago and it has worked out ok. Everyone is well and we are still speaking to one another! There are times I have found it difficult not having time to myself but I try to go for a short walk most days.
Recently, lockdown rules have been relaxed slightly to allow you to drive somewhere for a walk on the condition that the walk is longer than the drive. So today I took a short drive into Kent. This would be the first decent walk I have done since lockdown. Not living at home meant I didn't have access to any maps or guides with me. However, I have lead walks in this area many times and I was sure my memory wouldn't fail me.

My walking is usually accompanied by the distant sounds of traffic from one of the major motorways which go through Kent, taking traffic either to the coast or into central London. Today's walk was a completely different experience. The only sounds I could hear were from birds. I recognised the wood pidgeons, the robins, blue tits and even a woodpecker tap tapping away. Many more birds were joining the chorus but my knowledge of different bird songs is very poor.



I was just a little late to see the bluebells at their best but it was still a welcome sight.







The wild garlic was thriving.





There were no sounds of aircraft from the skies nor the criss-crossing of contrails, just a few wispy white clouds floating across the sky.





It was an absolute joy walking today and it definitely revived my spirits. I'm not sure how long I will have to be away from home but as long as I can occasionally go out for a walk like this I will be able to manage this crisis. 

17 comments:

  1. It looks like a wonderful place for a lovely walk. I enjoyed being with you vicariously. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine your elation at being allowed out to stretch your legs and your horizons after six weeks in place! We have been fortunate in that we have been allowed to drive and the weather has been unseasonably cool enough that we can enjoy being outside. We also have noticed the lack of traffic sounds, in the air and on the roads. Who would have thought this would be so again in our lifetimes?! Beautiful flowers on your walk. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My day has been brightEr because of my walK with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delightful it must have been to enjoy such a walk with only Nature speaking to you and not the sounds of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since our parks and beaches were closed, I had to walk within 500 ms of the house. But I have walked round and round each day and loved looking at the architecture and gardens. Not as beautiful as your photos, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A refreshing relief to be out and about in nature. Our Virginia bluebells are out too, along with azaleas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The azaleas are so pretty. “Real” spring flowers have definitely been one good thing about being home earlier than usual. I’m sure your daughter and SIL appreciate you being there and I know you are a big help with the family. But I also know it must be great to get away in your own . That was a lovely walk and I’m glad they eased up the regs so you could do it. Walks are so necessary for my mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lack of traffic noise has been nice but the increased helicopter noise to the large hospital near us quite worrying. That you can get out for a decent walk, or tramp as they say in New Zealand, must be great for your mental health and of course your physical health.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet of you to take care of your daughters family and make the best of it by explore the surroundings. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, what a nice nature walk. The blooms are beautiful, love the ferns and forest. I am glad you and your family are doing well. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful day for a walk. Thanks for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you got out for a walk especially now the weather has changed. I laughed at your comment that you're still talking to one another. I often reassure my many sister-in-laws that their brother (my husband) is still alive lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great that you got out for a walk and what a lovely photo tour of your walk ~ nature is so healing ~ my best to you and your family during these very difficult times ~

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)







    ReplyDelete
  14. I have noticed the birds more as well and not just the jackdaws nesting in the gutter. Less traffic is definitely good for something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You saw beauty in every direction and how soothing to hear only the bird song. Are those wild rhodedendrons or azaleas, they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are allowed to go to the nearest park or wood and only take the car when you live in an area where no park is. There are so many woods and parks around that so far I never used the car, only for shopping and to go to my friend. With the time we are all becoming more and more lazy and as we have no kids around it's like on a graveyard here ! I am so looking forward to move in June into our apartment ! We keep the house as long as legally allowed (3 to 4 months) and leave everything we don't need there and then try to sale what is saleable, I really want to get rid of all old stuff and start new !! That idea keeps me going !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing these lovely photographs, it certainly looks a great place for a walk.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.