Sunday 12 April 2020

The three bridges over the River Forth

It was Friday 13th March on this impromptu trip of mine. I woke up to a beautiful,  sunny day so I decided to get a train out of the city of Edinburgh to Dalmeny to see the three bridges which cross over the River Forth.







The train was empty which I was surprised but delighted to experience.

From Dalmeny station I found my way to the riverside path. This was my first view of the Forth Rail Bridge and looking the other way I could see the two road bridges.

I walked along the footpath down to the riverside and into the village of South Queensferry.












The village had a number of restaurants,tea shops and craft shops.  Many of them were closed
 but I imagine at the height of the tourist season this place would be very busy. 

The village is situated alongside the river. There were a number of oyster catchers looking for a tasty lunch as the tide went out. Being so close to the river you get good views of the bridges from the village.





 The first of the three bridges to be constructed was the rail bridge which opened in 1890.  This is the distinctive red Forth  Rail Bridge.


Here is a train going over the bridge.



Here are the other two bridges which are  both for road transport. The one in the foreground  was built in 1964 and was the fourth longest bridge in the world and the longest outside the USA.






In 2017, Queensferry Bridge, another road bridge,  was constructed across the Forth


As it was a sunny day I decided to do the boat trip under the bridges. The ticket office was closed but a notice s aid to pay on the boat.There were more people than I thought taking the trip but then I realised they were on a coach trip. It was cold on the river but I decided to stay on deck and not go inside as I didn't want to get close to any other passengers.











 Can see all three bridges here.


Snow on the hills. It might have been a sunny day but it was still very cold.












Between the two road bridges.


Waiting for the train to come over  the bridge to take me back to Edinburgh. By the time I got back into the city it was nearly 4pm and I was feeling very cold. I decided to pick up some food from Marks and Spencers at the station and eat in my room at the hotel. As  I said at the beginning of this post the date was the 13th March. The situation with the Corona virus was getting worse each day. I decided not to visit restaurants or cafes but to eat in my room. Although I was only going to be in Scotland for one more full day, my plan was to then return to Leeds to pick up my car and drive to Manchester to stay with friends before we all went off to the Lake District to do some hiking.

Sharing with Our World Tuesday


16 comments:

  1. Those are some amazing bridges. I especially like that red one! Glad you stayed safe and hope that you enjoyed a happy Easter today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the bridges are impressive but how iconic is the rail bridge. At least you made the best of a worsening time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful part of the world - love those distant snowy hills.

    I think a lot of us will be taking more local trips for a while.

    Hope you are well - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am from Edinburgh and really enjoyed reading about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are very impressive bridges. It must have been strange being on an empty train.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Pretty views of the bridges, the village is lovely too. I am glad you were safe on your trip! Gorgeous series of photos. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely trip. Thanks for taking us on your journey.
    The letter K

    ReplyDelete
  8. The empty train and quiet streets must have been a bit eerie. You were probably smart to stay on deck plus it gave you some great shots. Liked that one of the three bridges. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your photos show blue skies and puffy white clouds, yet there is snow behind the ship. Very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m enjoying this continuing story greatly ..it’s kind of a mystery story, wondering if you’ll escape the virus and the closures. I suspect (and hope for) a happy ending. Those bridges are great, especially the red one. And I’d have loved the boat ride ... on a boat is, for some reason, the only time or place in the world where I don’t mind a bit of cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The boat trip gave you some unique views of the bridges to photograph. If it weren’t for the charter group you might have had a private boat tour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those bridges are very impressive. So is an empty train! Good to see you're becoming a birder now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And our lookdown started on March 13 ! No move anymore. You were really very lucky to have seen these 3 bridges and Scotland is so beautiful ! You came back just in time !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I noticed at the end of your post that the date is 13.03.

    Please #StayatHome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I envy all of your journeys and wish I were traveling along with you. Those pastel colored house we are so pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The red bridge is fantastic. A masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.