Sunday 19 April 2020

Royal Yacht Britannia

Saturday 14th March,  my last day in Edinburgh and unbeknown to me at the time but this would be my last trip for some time to come.  I decided to go  out to Leith harbour to see the Royal Yacht Britannia. The Royal Yacht was launched in 1953 and was decommissioned in 1997 due to cut backs in government funds. This is the 83rd Royal Yacht, the first was launched in 1660.



The yacht is moored in the harbour but is accessed via the upper floor of a shopping centre which seemed quite strange. I was there , just as it opened, hoping to avoid any crowds. I needn't have worried as it was very quiet. We have now been told to keep a safe distance away from others. As there was hardly anyone else on the bus out to the harbour and no queue to get onto the Britannia I was happy to continue with my plan.















These flags are used to signal to others the ship's state and intentions. They are also used for ceremonial purposes, such as dressing ship.
 














The bridge or wheelhouse. You couldn't enter this part of the ship  but there was a good view through the window.
 During its 40 years serving the Royal family it sailed more than 1 million miles. 


This is a photograph of the Britannia as it passed through the Thames Barrier on the River Thames for the last time in 1997. I remember the occasion well as I had been asked to take a class of children to the barrier to witness the event. There were bands playing and flags flying. I did take photos but I have no idea what I did with them.


I think this was the commodore or captain's dining room.



















The Commodore's pantry.













The Commodore's bedroom and bathroom. The commodore is above the rank of captain but below that of rear admiral.



It is not a large ship at 125m long but it had a crew of 240 including a Royal Marine band. The band players had other duties as well as their ceremonial ones. There was an additional 45 household staff when the Royal family were onboard.






Although not a large ship it had space to park a vehicle. In the early days they used to take a Phantom Rolls Royce for ceremonial Royal visits  but in more recent years this wasn't necessary as a suitable car could be found wherever she travelled.

Photos of the sailors getting the Land Rover onto the ship.





The upper deck where the young royals used to play deck games with the sailors.





On the upper deck were the royal quarters.











A sun lounge.









The Queen's bedroom.



The adjoining room was the Duke of Edinburgh's bedroom.


The honeymoon suite. In 1960 Princess Margaret and Anthony Armstrong Jones were the first royal honeymooners to enjoy the privacy provided by Britannia on a 6000 mile journey to the Caribbean. Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips; Prince Charles and Princess Diana and finally the Duke and Duchess of York also honeymooned on the Yacht. However, it didn't bring them much luck as all those marriages ended in divorce.














Above the royal quarters there now is a tea room. It was almost empty so I decided to have a sit down and enjoy some tea and cake.












The port holes outside the royal apartments were higher than usual so as not to be at eye level.


The Queen's office.


The state dining room.





China and silver used for the official meals.





















The Royal sitting room


The sergeant's mess

















The ratings quarters.






















WO (Warrant Officer) and CPO (Chief Petty Officer)




CPO's cabins




























Sick Bay




Laundry room
















The engine room was immaculate. Apparently it always looked spick and span.


I very much enjoyed my visit and tour of the Royal Yacht especially as there were only a couple of other people looking around.

The following day I travelled back to Leeds where I had left my car at my son and dil's house. The plan was to drive from Leeds to Manchester to stay with  friends L and S. From there we had  planned to do some walking in the Lake District as S and myself  would be joining the 4 other members of the group to start our long distance walk around Norfolk in a few week's time. However, in the short time I had been in Scotland there had been a dramatic rise in the number of Covid-19 cases. Discussing the situation with my son we decided it wouldn't be wise for me to travel to Manchester. My son wanted me to stay with them until the worst was over but I knew I needed to go home to London and probably stay with my daughter as she would need to be in isolation and be shielded from the virus. The next day I sadly sad goodbye to my son and dil, not knowing when we would be able to get together again and drove back to London. 

18 comments:

  1. It has been awhile since you returned to stay with your daughter. How's it going for you all there?
    We have kept virus free so far. Limited exposure to others has made the difference.
    Who owns that Royal Yacht now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this boat tour. Too bad you had to cut your plans short. Hope your family stays healthy and virus-free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had the perfect way to tour with almost no others around. Amazing how the royals live on such a grand scale.
    Glad you are now in isolation for yours and your daughter's sake.
    Hope you and your family are all safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting pictures. I smiled when I saw several corgi puppy dogs on various beds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great tour. I'm glad you got back to London safely and weren't stuck somewhere overseas. I hope you and your family are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Royal Quarters may not be the hugest spaces on the planet but hey... it is a yacht! The rooms are spacious and very nicely fitted out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for an interesting tour of an interesting 'yacht'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun to have a look inside the yacht, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat to see inside the Royal Yacht. I remember photos of Diana on board. It must have been really fun to have the place almost to yourself. I would definitely be using my imagination ... !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful ship and I love all the inside photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. This virus has disrupted everything ~ glad you got to go on this trip though ~ Your photos are fascinating and you do go on the best trips ~ thanks for sharing ~

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. To think of the young royals playing and the vehicles that were on the yacht and how old it is really sparks the imagination. You must have great memories taking the kids down to see it. A wonderful set of photos and I'm sure you appreciated no crowds then, but it's so different now. My dad was a signalman in WWII and would have been fascinated with the flags.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brings back memories, you could take a lot of pictures ! I was there on my very first trip around the UK, but I couldn't take a lot of pictures, too many people. But it was worthwhile to see at least once !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, what a neat tour of the yacht. The honeymoon suite is lovely. It is a beautiful ship! Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully captured in pictures and words. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this grand tour. Wishing you well and have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You were fortunate to have so few others sharing your day. My. how the other half live! But as you point out, such pampering and privileged living didn't necessarily make for happy lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.