Wednesday 10 September 2014

Biddulph Grange Garden National Trust #19


In 1840 Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire, UK was bought by James Bateman. He and his wife were passionate about plants  and were rich enough to be able to travel and bring back plants from around the world. He and his wife with the help of an artist friend enlarged and planted out the gardens into different themed areas . Due to the design you cannot see into one area from another so I was constantly surprised by what I found by going through tunnels , walkways or between hedges.



Here are some of the photos I took in no particular order. I do not know the names of the plants and they were deliberately not labelled in keeping with the original garden layout.





















































































14 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, with clouds and sun. I love the red bridge over the pond. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...what a beautiful place to lose yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love your greenery.The ferns are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place! I enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Marie... Someone has done alot of great work on that place for sure... Looks like a bunch of mazes... Love it... Love the reflection in the water on that one photo... AND--it looked like there was a huge storm coming in another of your photos. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely spot. When I return to England I will make a point of visiting more gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh to have the funds to have a beautiful garden like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So stunning that I wouldn't want to leave it - a perfect place for reflection. Another destination to add to my list when I next visit the UK. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a superb garden, so full of surprises. The footbridge is unlike any I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful place. Love everything about it really! Unusual not to have name plaques on the flowers in a public garden, but I love that about it. I always struggle to get a good picture without the little placards. (Rather get a good picture than know the name of the plant, which no doubt says something terrible about me.)

    Would love to visit this beautiful home and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful garden! What a wonderful opportunity to develop a garden like this! Blog the blue flowers in particular:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They must have liked gardening ver much, what a huge garden. Lovely to walk around and explore all the different parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow ! what a beautiful garden ! Must have involved a lot of work !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this delightful revisit to Biddulph Grange - I was given a tour here by my house exchange hosts back in May - a fascinating place. That's a stunning reflection you've captured in the Japanese garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.