Backing onto the Regent's Canal is the London Canal Museum. The building was built in 1863 as an ice warehouse for Carlo Gatti who became an ice importer and ice cream maker.
Horse drawn carts would collect the ice via the front entrance .
The ice was imported in huge blocks from Norway and brought by the canal boats to the warehouse where it was stored in large wells.
This is one of two wells which stored the ice here. It was about 10 m across and 13m deep. The ice could be stored here for many months.
During Victorian times ice was kept in an ice cabinet . They were insulated with cork and lined with zinc. Melt water drained out of a hole at the bottom.
An ice cream seller's bicycle.
This is the traditional canal artwork, often based around the themes of roses and castles which you find on many of the canal boats
The doors of the canal boats are also painted with similar themes.
These were working boats with the majority of space being taken up by the cargo leaving little space inside for the 'Bargee' and his family.