Wednesday 16 April 2014

Bluebell woods

My walk this week began in Emmetts Gardens, Kent. Before reaching the woodland where I wanted to start my walk  I needed to walk through the beautiful gardens of this National Trust property. I was quite surprised that the rhododendrons were already in flower.
















Once through the more formal gardens I joined the path which would take me through the woods and then up a couple of hills giving me tremendous views over the Kent countryside.


Just look at the carpet of bluebells beneath my feet.








I couldn't stop taking photos. No wonder the walk took me so long.

















Following my walk a couple of weeks ago when I got lost as I didn't have a map, I made sure that I bought the appropriate map for this part of Kent but where was it? At home of course!

Which colour shall I follow today?
I decided on the red markers as they looked newer and there was more chance they were still in place. It is always interesting to follow a new path and see if there are any surprises around the next corner and I wasn't disappointed.


Here I came across the site of an old Manor House. There was an information board nearby explaining that when the owner died in 1923, his widow decided to return to live in London and the property fell into disrepair. During the bombing in WW2 it suffered a direct hit. Very little of the original brickwork remains.




 However it made the  perfect place to stop for lunch. The view from here looks out over four counties; East Sussex, West Sussex, Surrey and Kent.

















Another enjoyable walk in the Spring sunshine.

17 comments:

  1. Nature is blooming everywhere because of the nice temperatures we have now. Fun to walk with you through the beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't nice weather make all the difference. Everything looks so nice. I recall a line from a book, 'Come climb the hill with me boy and we will see five counties'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I. Just got up and feel like I have gotten some exercise on your walk! Does that count? Those pictures were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers!!
    Nice Captures..

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I'm anxious for Nature to turn green where I live north of Toronto! Your world is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our rhodies are also blooming here. They are some of the first flowers to appear. I love the walk, it was just perfect. Wish I could have spent time strolling through there with you, but this was a good second best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful walk….thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful area. Love the carpet of bluebells. Looks a lot like Oregon does right now with all that green and blooming rhodies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like this glorious weather stretches right across the UK. Love the shots. Haven't seen any bluebells yet in Coventry. Soon, I expect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so absolutely beautiful -- wonderful wonderful Spring. Have to laugh with you about the map. If I ever had a map, that's exactly where mine would be -- never where I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are so beautiful. Your walk brightened up my dreary gray day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice landscape full of greenery. Bluebells are my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow--what a gorgeous garden.... Spring is really showing off in your area. How beautiful!!!! Your Bluebells look alot like our Texas Bluebonnets.... Love them!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. "After60 -thenext10" has been included in Friday's Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/04/fridays-sites-to-see_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful series of nature photos..The bluebell is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.