Sunday 8 December 2013

Noses

As I'm sure you all know by now, I love London and its  many unusual sights. A couple of weeks ago I went on a walk in search of 'noses'.

In 1997 the artist Rick Buckley attached  approximately 35 reproductions of his nose to various buildings. It was said at the time that he did it as a silent protest about the number of CCTV cameras there are in London. No one seems to know how many of the original noses still remain in place, although 7 or 8 appears to be the number people declare they have found. The first one (which aroused my curiosity) I came across by accident whilst waiting to cross the road beneath Admiralty Arch.

 Can you see it in this picture? I am not convinced that this was put there by the artist as it looks to be made of bronze and is just the right height for soldiers on horseback to be able to reach as they ride through the arch.










Some of the noses were very high up on the walls and others were much easier to reach. The rest of my finds were in and around Soho but I will not reveal the streets as it might spoil the fun for other nose hunters.




Number 2




Behind the Bay tree on the right you will find number 3



To the right of this restaurant's door was nose number 4





Here I found number 5


I hope to find the rest of them one day but for now this has sated my quest for the noses of Soho!

Linking with 'Our World Tuesday'
Our World Tuesday Graphic

29 comments:

  1. What an interesting thing to post around town! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea. While you are staring up at walls, look out for rosettes on building walls that used to support tram and trolley bus overhead wires. There are still a few around, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have eagle eyes to have spotted the first one ! What a funny idea ! Fortunately he didn't have a crooked nose !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great search that was, I never knew about that, just goes to show what you learn. No doubt may were taken my people or removed by property owners

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a nice way to explore the city, I bad you constantly watch up now during your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is fascinating! London is filled with interesting sights, but this is one I never even considered. Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so cool. someone's going to organize a "nose tour".

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting quest to find the noses that are still in place. However, I am not sure that I would want one attached to the wall of my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'd never heard about this before - what a hoot (er)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun theme and great photos in the weirdest places ~ very creative ~ thanks, carol, xxx

    Thanks for visiting ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun going on a nose tour! congrats on finding 5. Good luck on your search! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nose tour!! I love it! How fun!! Thanks for the giggles on this cold, gray afternoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun. I love the idea of searching for the noses. Great captures from your hunt.

    You are correct about the Henry Moore sculpture in my post. There are actually two large pieces by Henry Moore at the NCMA although I only showed one in this week's post. The one I showed that you spotted is titled Large Standing Figure: Knife Edge and the other one at the NCMA that I've shown in other posts is titled- Large Spindle Piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny! You have a good eye to spot them. I'm going to look at my photos of the Admiralty Arch and see if I can possibly spot that nose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was fun! For your readers, but even more so for you, looking for and finding them!!! Pretty cool. "Nosing" around or snooping electronically is a hot-button issue here over here now. perhaps somebody will think of a creative protest such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great and unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How unique! never came across such an idea of protest! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is hilarious. I wonder how many people notice them and wonder what the heck they are there for. It must have been fun hunting for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An amazing story. Puts a whole new meaning on Nosing Around London.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I am in London I will have to sniff these out!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, how did you find these noses?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fun ... looking for noses ! and you found some in very inconspicuous places.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that is really funny for many people looking for noses like that. If he is already dead now, then at least he has left some "funny legacy".

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.