Welcome to my blog

This is it! I've given up work -retired from the rat race and am about to start on a 10 year adventure, doing all those things I've been meaning to do but never had the time to do them. I've offloaded my responsibilities and it is now my time. So follow my adventures and see whether I actually manage anything!



Friday, 8 June 2012

The Allies


A bronze sculpture of President Franklin D Roosevelt and Sir Winston Churchill chatting on a bench in New Bond Street. It is called 'The Allies' and is by an American sculptor - Lawrence Holofcener. It was erected to commemorate 50 years of peace. Churchill's mother was an American and it is said that helped him to forge a life long friendship with Roosevelt.

7 comments:

  1. I love these life like sculptures. It makes you want to sit with them and have a chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently this is a hot spot for tourists who do exactly that. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Funny, there is a similar-style sculpture of Georges Simenon in Liège and when a friend of mine (big fan of Simenon's books) saw it he sat down for a 5 minute chat with the man! :D

      Delete
  2. WAU - where some beautiful statues you show. Wishing you a good weekend. Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen these sculptures before. I think it's a wonderful tribute to two powerful men. It looks like I could scooch myself right between them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful sculpture. I always enjoyed watching the great relationship that Pres. Bush had with Tony Blair... I'm not sure who our current President has a relationship with.. He's only in it for himself. (Sorry--my dislike of him just pops out of me!!! ha)

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to find that sculpture next time I'm in London! I wouldn't mind shaking their hands!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.