Friday 11 October 2024

St Agnes island

 

The forecast was rain for the morning and then sunshine in the afternoon so I decided to get the boat to St Agnes Island. These are the boats that take you from one island to another. I am staying on St Mary's which is the largest of the Scilly Isles. Each morning, weather permitting, they leave the harbour at St Mary's at 10.15 and return about 4.30. I made sure I always had food and drink with me as places to get something are few and far between on the other islands as the summer season is now over.

I had not been to St Agnes before so I decided to have a look. On arrival a harbour seal was keeping an eye on us. I hadn't brought my camera with me to the Scillies so I just had my phone. OK for most things but not if you want a close up. 

















By the time we reached the island the rain had stopped. The island was linked to another tiny island (Gugh) by a sandbar. I had no idea of the tide timetable so I didn't risk going over onto the other island in case I got stranded.

I loved the lichen on the walls and trees.
Cormorant drying its wings.












The clouds had vanished by lunchtime leaving clear blue skies.

I found a sheltered spot to sit and have lunch and listen to the waves rolling onto the shore.
I walked around the whole of the island's coastline, stopping every now and then to enjoy the sounds of the sea. I think if I wanted to escape life completely then this is the place to hide.


1 comment:

  1. I wonder how inviting it is in the teeth of a howling gale.
    It looks so peaceful and inviting. With such a small population, everyone must literally know everyone else.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.