Sunday 3 March 2024

Mudlarks

At the weekend I went to an exhibition of finds by Mudlarks. 
Mudlarks are people who search the foreshore of rivers to see what they can find. You need a permit from the Port of London Authority to do this along the banks of the Thames and so legally there are not that many people who do it. Today was a chance to meet them and for them to showcase their best finds
 Every piece had been well researched and had a story to tell. I was so fascinated by the stories that I didn't take enough photos especially of the most interesting pieces.
Clay pipes are probably the most common item found by mudlarkers. They were often prefilled with tobacco and sold by shops for single usage before being thrown away. 

There was pottery from many periods in history including Roman, Tudor, Victorian and more recent times.


In this display box are lots of trade tokens dated during the 17th century. All found in the Thames mud. They were used predominantly between 1648 and 1674 by all kinds of different traders. They were often stamped with the issuer's name, location of the business, year of issue and denomination. During the mid 17th century there was a lack of small denomination coins issued by the government  so traders issued their own. Most of the mudlarks had some trade tokens on display. I even held on dated 1664. I found them fascinating and with a magnifying glass you could see the trademarks clearly imprinted on the token. 


The two shoes in front of the picture were both found on the Thames foreshore and have been restored by a leather restorer. The small child's shoe is Victorian and had been shod with metal to increase its wear.
A Roman oil burner in almost perfect condition.


Delft and Chinese pottery






It was a very interesting and free exhibition and one to look out for in the future.
 

12 comments:

  1. I am sure it was a very interesting exhibit, not without a touch of poignancy I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re read Mudlarking by Lara Maiklem so this was a very timely post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my kind of exhibit. Fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I had no idea you could find so many interesting, historic items in the river mud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful artefacts on display

    ReplyDelete
  6. The river that keeps giving. Pre loaded pipes, the disposable vapes of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's very interesting ! I would like to fish out things from the past ! Unbelievable what these people found ! In our canal they only find old cars, bicycles and prams ! and in the Amsterdam's canals once per year the hundreds of bicycles are fished out of the canal with a crane! https://youtu.be/Tp26ekHQF8Q?si=GjALQLnEKQ4EMuBv

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a channel I watch on youtube which is brilliant for Nicola White - Mudlark, she finds all sorts of historical objects. Sadly here in NZ we just don't have the history for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of interesting finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've known about Mudlarks anmd what they do for years from books (I seem to dimly remember even a movie way back in my childhood) but I had no idea that they are still active today. This was fascinating and I would love such an exhibition.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.