Tuesday 12 March 2024

Oslo

 I am currently enjoying a city break in Oslo, Norway. I booked it a few weeks ago when I decided I needed a break from normal life. After booking I got cold feet as I haven't travelled abroad on my own since 2019. But as life became more stressful I knew I was right. So here I am in Oslo, the capital of Norway with a population of 700 000. If I had given more thought to this mini adventure I wouldn't have chosen to come here in Winter with temps below freezing nor would I have arrived on a Sunday when most places are closed followed by a Monday when most museums etc are closed. But then. I wouldn't have got a bargain price to stay in this fabulous hotel.


In the basement is the fitness area with the usual gyms, weights room, sauna, steam room and this pool. When I got in the pool the water moves in a circular direction taking you along with it which I found really relaxing and then I realised I was supposed to swim against the current and provide me with a challenging swim. As you can see I had the facilities to myself.

So this was definitely the right decision for a little bit of 'me time'. I'm happy to say I hadn't lost my nerve of travelling alone and have found my way around the city without any problems. Helped of course by the wonderful Norwegians who speak perfect English and are only too happy to help this old English woman find the right bus stop.

10 comments:

  1. That pool looks so tempting to dip in

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said that after booking you got cold feet as you haven't travelled abroad on your own since 2019, I thought that referred specifically to being there in winter ha ha. Just as well Oslo is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your winterlude in Oslo. A winter sojourn in a northern city seems just about perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'd have to spend a bomb on warm clothing, I'd like to experience really cold snow and ice weather, below 0 degrees, as long as I know it is warm inside buildings. It sounds like a great break away for you with such nice accommodation. Are you enjoying the herring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do impress me with your travels. How long are you there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks very very posh, hope you enjoyed your time there. I have Norwegian ancestry so I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo to you for traveling so well despite the challenges you came upon ~ so good to 'see you' again and sweet photos of a relaxing spa and Oslo ~ look forward to those photos soon ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice you are on the adventure again ! I too have to travel it itches, especially because I am feeling nearly normal now. What held me back was the strikes in each country, you never knew if you would arrive or stay a day and night in the airport. Today pilots are striking ! But I have got the program for day trips from Waterloo to all countries around Belgium. We really sit in the middle and if you drive 200 km in all directions you are in another country. That's what I will do !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! Going with the flow in the pool seems like the exact right thing for the kind of relaxing vacation you needed! That's a great hotel with all those amenities. (Only quibble -- you just can't call yourself an old woman, when you're at least decade younger than some of your readers. Nor, more importantly, when you're up for the adventures you are. Thanks for sharing them with one of the real oldies ))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your time in Oslo.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.