Monday 14 November 2022

Iceland: Caves, geysers and lights

 Last month I visited Iceland for five days with three friends M, C and L. We have travelled to many places around the world together, having first met in 2009 in Peru. We always use the same company G adventures and this trip was no different. It was a short road trip following the Golden Circle route around the South-West of Iceland that features beautiful scenery and major sites.










I met L at Heathrow airport for the 3 hr flight to Reykjavik. M and C were flying in from Gatwick airport which is what I should have done seeing as how it is my nearest airport. 
It was a clear but cold day as you would expect at this time of the year. It is well known that Iceland is expensive, but it was even worse as sterling had taken a huge dive due to the incomprehensible mini budget of the new (now sacked) chancellor of the exchequer. We opted to take the airport bus to the hotel rather than a taxi, even so, I was surprised that a bus ride of just a few miles should cost £58 ret. All four of us met up in the reception of the hotel and once we'd unpacked we went out to get something to eat.





M had done some research and found a food court in the middle of a bus station. It had a very good choice of food. Being in Iceland I chose the cod which was served with fresh veg and tasted delicious. None of us had a drink. Although the food wasn't too bad pricewise the wine was ridiculous at £36 a glass! I didn't bother drinking any alcohol whilst I was in Iceland as I couldn't justify paying that kind of money.



We didn't meet up with the tour group until the following evening and we spent the next day wandering through Reykjavik and I'll post some photos of the town another day. But it was whilst walking through the town that I lost my varifocal glasses. Disaster! I did however have a pair of prescription varifocal sunglasses with me, so all was not lost except perhaps the perception of me, that other members of the tour had. It was only later in the week, during a conversation with a young man from Nashville, that I learnt that they thought I was trying to be cool wearing sunglasses all the time even at breakfast and in the restaurants in the evening! There were 14 of us altogether on the tour with 2 from Switzerland, 4 from Canada, 4 from the USA and 4 of us from Britain. Our guide was Icelandic and she did an excellent job in showing us so much in a relatively short time.






On our first day we went into a lava cave which was much larger than I expected. Walking through it was not difficult as there was a pathway to follow but you still needed to watch your step as it was slippy in places.






















Our next stop was to see some geysers. I was surprised that the smell of sulphur wasn't too bad.


Then on to see a waterfall which just seemed to disappear into the ground.




This is the guesthouse where we would be staying for the next couple of nights. It was in the middle of nowhere and it was hoped that we would see the Northern Lights whilst we were here. A rota was set up so that there would always be someone watching out for them. 






At about 12.30am there was a change in the cloud and a few of us put on some warm clothing and went outside. The lights came and lasted about an hour. I did manage to a couple of photos but most of the ones here were taken by others on the trip with better camera equipment and who happily shared them with the rest of the group. 










I went with no expectations of seeing the lights so was thrilled that on our first night of the tour we saw a spectacular display.

13 comments:

  1. What a magnificent trip! I especially enjoyed the fabulous Lights. Thank you for sharing your trip with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to see the northern lights. Did you have to wear your sunglasses then to see them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos of the Northern lights! I've always wanted to visit Iceland. After your post even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Iceland a few years ago for three nights in January. It was amazing although I didn't see the Northern lights. The dark sky at night was wonderful though. My breakfast was included at the hotel but they did a very reasonable buffet meal in the evening with local food so I opted for that and just ate street food in the day. I did the golden circle route but no caves. Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pics of the northern lights. Shame about your glasses - were they covered by insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible aurora there. The whole trip is definitely worth it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen the northern lights on occasion, but not as beautiful as that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long has been seeing the northern lights a desire of mine but it won't happen now. We do have southern lights visible from our island state of Tasmania but as the photos you've posted show, the northern lights are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do the locals survive with the absurd prices you found for taxis, alcohol etc? Surely tourism will suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i would love to visit Iceland for a holiday, such a fascinating geothermal place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are on the road again ! I am jealous !! It's my dream to do a cruise to see the Northern lights ! What you did I am unable to do because of my breathing problems otherwise I would do it. I just caught up on your blog ! How nice that you could make this trip. Yes the pound has lost a lot of value, of course for me it is very good, the UK has never been so cheap for me than this year ! Thanks to Brexit probably.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m so glad you were rewarded with some really bright Northern Lights. Oh, my goodness! the prices! I can’t imagine paying those prices and enjoying the glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photographs of the Northern Lights.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.