Wednesday 16 November 2022

Iceland: Day2

Today a group of us were going glacier hiking. I had my own boots and waterproofs with me so didn't need to hire anything.  Before starting the walk, we put on a helmet and harness. If you have ever worn a climbing harness, you will know how easy it is to put it on incorrectly. Anyway, once we were all kitted out with crampons and ice pick, we walked up the mountain towards the glacier.

 
















We didn't put the crampons on until we were close to the glacier.



 
It was difficult to walk with the crampons on as you had to stamp your feet into the packed ice and walk with your feet slightly apart so that the crampons didn't get tangled.  Progress was slow as you can only walk at the speed of the slowest, so we didn't get as far as the white pristine snow. I would like to have walked a bit faster and gone further but this can be a dangerous activity with the slippiness of the ice and crevasses everywhere, patience was needed. Sadly, the glacier is receding by 60m per year and I imagine in the not so distant future this activity will no longer be feasible. 




Once the wind dropped it wasn't too cold and I really enjoyed the experience. We were out walking for about three hours in the end which was probably long enough.


On the way back once off the ice we removed the crampons and washed them in the lake taking care not to get wet in the icy waters of the melting glacier.





 









In the afternoon we visited Black Sand beach. Because it is a volcanic island all the sand on the beaches is black.  I wasn't that bothered about seeing a black sandy beach but what was impressive was the rock and cave formations.



The hexagonal basalt columns by the cave were very impressive. I have seen similar formations at the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. This natural wonder is formed by the cooling lava which can form a variety of patterns, but they are mainly hexagonal. (Far more detailed and accurate explanations of  these columns can easily be found on the internet.)






The ideal place for a photoshoot.

8 comments:

  1. Were you all connected is that why you wore a harness? I remember walking on glacier ice in the Columbia Icefields in Canada. No special equipment though. We rode these huge tired buses to the glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a person in that picture of the hexagonal stones for perspective. Congratulations on having done that, quite the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful landscape created by lava itself. Love black beach too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. I was shocked when looking at old photos and learning of the loss of ice in Victoria Glacier in Canada. Of course, nothing to do with climate change! Not far from Melbourne we have the Organ Pipes, also I believe basalt columns but ours as the name suggests are round. The Giants Causeway is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I've heard of that beach, which I'd love to see, the waves can be lethal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you acknowledged yourself, this could have been a dangerous activity with the slippiness of the ice and crevasses everywhere, helmet and harness notwithstanding. Since we are no longer teenagers, were you at all worried about your safety and were safety backups available?.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool tour (pun not intended). Iceland is firmly on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I walked on a glacier when I visited New Zealand ... many years ago.
    Well done on your glacier hike.
    A good selection of photographs you've shared here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.