Monday 4 July 2022

Superbloom at the Tower

To celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee The Tower of London has flooded the moat with flowers. In Spring over 20 million seeds were sown and now most of them have germinated and provide this colourful, impressionistic display of wild flowers. I went along last week to have a close up view of the flowers. Even though we have had glorious blue skies most days, I chose a day when it was pouring down! Never mind  I still enjoyed the experience.
Not all areas geminated at the same time and some plants have yet to flower.
Superbloom is not just for 2022. This is the first year of a permanent transformation of the moat providing a haven for bees, butterflies and other pollinators. This is the biggest change to the moat since the 1840s when it was drained and laid to grass.
















You can slide down into the moat if you want but because of the rain it was closed. I was very disappointed!









One of the sculptures in amongst the flowers.












Despite the rain I hope you enjoyed walking around the moat with me.



13 comments:

  1. You coming down the slide would have improved your post, but still, interesting with lots of pretty flowers. I guess this was where the poppies were a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful flowers! I love seeing them all and thinking of the happy bees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! That's a way better use of a moat as a flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it loooks great poppies are my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! And what a great idea. The rainy day lighting made the photos look like paintings. I was in London for the poppies in 2014 and will never forget it! I hope you will have time to return for the slide. I would have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely despite the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect use of that space for wild flowers. I imagine it was mown almost weekly before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are lovely and that slide does look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love seeing wildflowers blooming, I wish they would plant more here especially along the highways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a great idea. It looks absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pictures remind me my childhood ! Wild flowers were not in fashion they were just there and I love them. It looks so cheerful. I wonder why they were banned from everywhere and now they come back probably for the bees !
    I watched the Queen's Platinum Jubilee it was just the thing I needed, some romance in a funeral preparation time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The superbloom moat is a brilliant idea that has clearly worked. Shame about the rain on your day and the fact that you couldn't slide into all those flowers and bees! I think I would have joined you had I been there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is absolutely wonderful and this is the first I'd heard of it. A great idea carried through perfectly. You took some lovely pictures, especially considering you were there on a rainy day! There is one in there that reminds me of a Monet. ... I'm not sure about that slide however. Wouldn't one tread on the flowers walking back up?

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.