Friday 22 July 2022

Tiaras

 In celebration of the Queen's platinum jubilee, Sotheby's auction house had a display of tiaras which was open to the public. Here are just a few of them:

Art Deco bandeau designed by Cartier in the 1920s. Amethyst, sapphire, onyx and diamond.

An early twentieth century diamond set tiara designed as a wreath of twinned sprays of leaves. Cartier 1904


A bandeau style diamond tiara c1900


The Primrose Tiara. A trailing garland of daisies and leaves created c 1830.

An Imperial Russian Necklace/Tiara. A diamond set laurel wreath necklace with pendant graduated aquamarines. Probably St Petersburg late 19th/early 20th century.

The Spencer Tiara worn by princess Diana at her wedding in 1981. Garrard, mid 1930s

Queen Victoria's emerald and diamond tiara designed by Prince Albert 1845

The Westminster halo tiara designed by Lacloche in 1930

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful display you were able to visit. There's a few £s worth there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The primrose tiara is young and fresh. It looks art nouveau yet its date was c1830!

      Delete
  2. They look so nice, I am sure as a child I would have wanted to wear them all, but now I don't see myself with a tiara on my head. I only wore them for carnival !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really my thing but I like the Russian tiara/necklace and the Westminster halo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a play tiara for granddaughter #3 and she wears it all the time. She'd love one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, how lovely! What a treat to see these works of art in person. Just outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the Tiaras are beautiful, I like the green and purple ones the best, simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alfred had good taste! I love the one he designed for Queen Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting to know that Prince Albert designed a special tiara. I'm sure he knew her tastes quite well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.