Thursday 2 September 2021

Diana, Princess of Wales


 
It is the anniversary of Princess Diana's death this week (31/08/1997) so I decided to have a walk around Kensington Gardens to look at the new statue of her.
The gates outside the Palace were covered in photos. No doubt there will be numerous bunches of flowers left here on the day on her anniversary.


 
 Diana lived at Kensington Palace for 15 years and enjoyed the seasonal displays in the sunken garden., so it seems an appropriate location for her statue. 

Her sons commissioned the statue and unveiled it on 1st July 2021 which would have been her 60th birthday. Personally I don't think it is a good likeness nor do I particularly like the composition. But that's just my opinion. What do you think? 


I do like the gardens though.






The perfect position for a statue of her.



13 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I like it best from the back and I do like it that she is portrayed with her sons. I like the lovely setting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardens are stunning. Why are there three children posed with her? If you hadn't told me who it was supposed to be I wouldn't have known.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a perfect location in a lovely garden but, each time I see the statue I dislike it more and more. I did try to understand the sculptor's point but no, I just don't think it is a good representation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she looks dumpy and the children seem to be out of proportion to her. I get the explanation that she was dressed to represent her later, more casual life, but still . . . Surely her sons had to approve the sculptor’s drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a royalist because it is not right that a person/family holds power solely due to great great grandpa being successful in grabbing one throne or another. But if Princess Diana was a vital, moral and hard working member of the royal family, she deserves being substantially memorialised. Not a small statue! I would rename St Paul's Cathedral or Buckingham Palace after Princess Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not glad with this statue too. The grey colour and no likeness to her don't suit her at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this reminder of a wonderful and exceptional person, gone too soon,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there 3 days after her funerals and the park and streets were covered in flowers, it was very sad. Then I was a bit angry that no statue were made in her honner but water way or how should I call it which was neglected when I saw it. Then this statue, for me a real admirer of this very special woman was so disappointing ! It doesn't look like her at all has no soul and the sculpturer better remains anonymous. I am very disappointed it doesn't honor her at all !

    ReplyDelete
  9. She was my favourite royal, I remember the day of her funeral clearly, now it's like she can't rest in peace, she's everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I did not like her & really felt she was held in too high esteem by people but it is a lovely memorial garden for people to remember her

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gardens are so lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep -- the gardens are stunning, just beautiful. And the statue is well-placed. (I have no more positive comments ))

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.