Monday 22 February 2021

By the river

 

Yesterday's walk took me to the river Thames, a great favourite of mine. It is quite along walk from home to the river so I drove and managed to park the car in a retail park behind the Holiday Inn on the Greenwich peninsula. I walked through the Ecology Park to get to the Thames path. Historically this area was known as the Greenwich marshes but became heavily industrialised in the 1880s onwards with a large shipbuilding yard and a gas and chemical works. With the decline of the industries in the 70s new schemes were eventually put in place to regenerate the area and so began the creation of the Ecology Park as a freshwater habitat.




This morning all I could hear was the honking of the geese. 

Many were flying from the park on to the river. I only managed to catch this one on camera. 

Canada geese are very common but I did spot this bird which I think is an Egyptian goose

There were lots of coots in and out of the reeds.










The Ecology Park is next to the river so I was soon on the pathway walking towards Greenwich.

I noticed this sculpture on one of the piers.

This was a new sculpture for me and unfortunately I couldn't find out any information about it.











In the distance I could see the cable car stretching across the river.
Just below the Emirates cable car is this sculpture by Anthony Gormley known as 'The Cloud'. From a distance you can make out the figure of a man within the structure.



Once you walk round the bend of the river you will see this  sign in the middle of the path. Fortunately  there was an explanation nearby. The road sign artwork by Thomson and Craighead, marks the 24,859 mile distance around the earth and back. Its placement is on the Greenwich meridian line which is located at 0 degrees.

Across the river are the buildings on Canary Wharf.


It was low tide as I walked along the river and looking at the clean patches of sand I can now believe that The Thames is one of the cleanest metropolitan rivers in Europe with over 300 different species of fish living in its waters.


16 comments:

  1. Lovely river walk photos and signs of Spring ~ so good to see ~ Happy Week to you,

    Living moment by moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great walk! Nice to know that The Thames is now so clean. Are you planning a long distance walk for the summer? I just want to get in the car and drive to Buffalo, NY to see granddaughter #3. No other trips planned yet. We get first shot tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always bring us such interesting things. And yes that is an egyptian goose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful walk, and thank you for sharing it and the sights with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite an interesting walk along by the Thames, least it was quiet

    ReplyDelete
  6. You parked near our Holiday Inn. I remember the second sculpture but I didn't know it was by Gormley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My national birds really do get around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is so cool that that part of the Thames has been reclaimed for a natural area. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely area! Love the reflections in that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in one of those flats (top photo) that opens onto the water would be sooo peaceful. I would open the glass windows, put a chair there, sip white wine and read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the very interesting "walk". A bit of everything there for those who care to look and to think beyond the obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very nice and interesting walk ! I only regret the skyline of Canary Warf, looks as the skylines in all big cities !
    Spring has started here far too early we had 18°C in a February that never happened ! And such nice sunshine !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your river walk, and great to hear that the Thames is so clean now. Gives us a bit of hope for the rest of the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so good to hear that the thames is now a very clean River. The City of London has done well to clean it up. I remember reading stories about how filthy it was in the 1800's when the hulks were housing criminals some bound for Botany Bay as convicts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great post showing that there is hope for the world. I am glad to know about the recovery of the great Thames. Glad too to see the snowdrops and green showing that (once again) there is hope for the coming of Spring ! Now if we could just get this Covid thing figured out ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are those apartments in the first photo? I've never seen architecture like that for people to live in but I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.