Sunday 7 June 2020

Urban walking

My Sunday walk was a bit different this week as I decided to do a more urban walk. Since returning home I have not been for a local walk so it was time to venture to some familiar haunts.


I decided to walk to Greenwich Park via a new housing estate. and Blackheath. The weather was perfect for walking and as it was early morning there were few people around so social distancing was easy.
The housing estate has been thoughfully landscaped with wild meeadows and water features. At least the people on lockdown living in the flats would have pleasant views from their balconies.






I walked on through a much older estate with lots of greenery.

Finally I reached Blackheath. It hasn't rained since March and the heath was looking parched.







At the other side of  Blackheath is Greenwich Park. At the moment, no cars are allowed into the park and the empty road was an unusual sight.

From the top of the park you have a panaramic view over London and can see the River Thames snaking its way around Greenwich and the Docklands.

I continued my walk through the park and on into Greenwich. More people were walking around the town so I decided to make my way home. By the time I got home I had waled over 10 miles,much further than I had intended but it was good to be in familiar surroundings once again.

15 comments:

  1. What a pleasant walk and view of London. Home sweet home! There really is no place like home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you training for a long hike this summer? Or is that on hold this year? I heard that there is a drought in England. Friends' son lives in Reading and their backyard is brown.
    The meadow lands look nice and green though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a walk is no doubt good for your mental health too. The last photo looked familiar. You were up a hill when you took the photo. Then I remembered that I had taken a similar photo from the Observatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome way to renew the brain! The poppies in the green always make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We see everybody walking here around, we have to do so otherwise we will grow fat in our seats...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice walk, and right there in town. I love the shot of London towards the end of your photos. Thank you for sharing these. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, that does look parched. Someone must have watered the wildflower meadows and the gardens in the older estate to keep them so green. It doesn’t sound as if you have lost any of your walking stamina while sheltering in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely view, we have a mostly pleasant yard to look at from my apartment balcony, but nothing like that. Are those orange flowers poppies?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poppies appear where no other flower seems to. That always gives me such hope in many situations. In my rt. sidebar is a photo I took in Switzerland. A poppy growing in a field of wheat was a blessing after a day of walking all over Switzerland. We had an AirBnB apt near the field.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to see those wild flowers and water features. But I fear for them once the local kids get back into gear. This has been a very dry year around here too with very poor growth of the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you go walking you don't fool around do you!
    I love the wild meadows. We are seeing more of that here all the time. Helps cut down maintenance, watering, and fertilizing costs plus provides habitats for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's also something nice, you discover your neighbourhood !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place to walk. It still seems odd to me to see rather empty streets. The views of London are amazing. I walk my dog twice a day but not 10 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have started to walk as well. Not as far as you though, only a mile and a half or so. But, small beginnings and such...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so good to be out and about walking … and this looked a lovely walk.
    I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.