Wednesday 17 June 2020

Kathmandu Valley

In 1975 I resigned my job, gave up my bedsit and went travelling across Asia. My destination was Nepal where a friend of mine was working. I traveled by bus from Istanbul in Turkey to Delhi in India. It took a couple of months and was a very stupid thing to do as I suffer from travel sickness. Prior to this trip I had only been on a school skiing trip to Switzerland and hitchhiked to Paris whilst at college. To say I was green was an understatement.  I only ever took slides on a small Kodak instamatic camera. I have managed to now download them onto a USB. Their quality isn't great but they hold wonderful memories for me. These photos were taken as we approached the airport in the Kathmandu valley. I had boarded the plane in Lucknow rather than Delhi as it was a cheaper option but I have no idea how I got to Lucknow. I remember thinking it was a scary place to land as the runway didn't look that long and the valley is surrounded by mountains.


I note from my journal that my baggage was searched on entry into the country. I wonder if it was because I was wearing an afghan coat that I had bought in Afghanistan that probably wasn't cured as well as it should have been!

I got a taxi from the airport to the school whereTony worked.  His house was part of the campus. I spent the rest of the day meeting some of the people who worked there. These two young men were gardeners and also came with us on the treks to act as porters. The following day they acted as guides taking us up the local mountain, Shivapuri (2732m/8963ft).

They took us past their home where we were introduced to their families. Everyone wanted to have their photograph taken.





It was harvest time and we saw the rice and corn being gathered and dried. Everything was done by hand.








Hanging the corn out to dry.


Digging a field by hand.


Views of the valley as we climbed up Shivapuri.











Prayer flags flying above a monastery.



Looking down the valley towards the school.
The buddhists were enjoying a meal as we walked past.









There were lots of flowers around the monastery.


Bell at  the Sankhu monastery

We decided to go back down from here as the climb was hard work.  In the evening we were taken to the British Embassy to a reception for the successful British Everest expedition. I have no idea how we received an invitation or how I managed to find appropriate clothes.

24 th September1975: First Britons conquer Everest
Dougal Haston and Doug Scott have become the first Britons to reach the summit of the world's highest mountain.
The men arrived at the top of Mount Everest via the previously unclimbed south-west face, 33 days after establishing their base camp.
The team succeeded on a difficult direct route which has repulsed five other attempts and set a record for the fastest time up the peak.
Expedition leader Chris Bonington reported the pair had reached the 29,028ft (8,848m) summit safely and were now on their way down the mountain.
He also said they were ahead of schedule and hoped more of the 18-strong group would be able to reach the top.
The south-west face of Everest has been regarded as one of the most difficult challenges in mountaineering because of its length and exposure to high-level winds. BBC website.

In my diary I wrote:  I met Dougal Hasten, a thin wiry looking bloke who was very tired! Two years later in 1977 Dougal Haston was killed in a skiing accident in Switzerland.



14 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful photos and memory of your trip. I can not imagine traveling for months at a time. I would probably be home sick. My hubby has always wanted to visit Nepal and see Mount Everest. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are now incredible archival photographs. I'm sure it doesn't look like that now. Thanks so much for sharing these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best memories are in the photos we take in unexpected places during our Gap Year, or in your case after retiring suddenly from work. I hope you kept good notes on the back, even if your memory is still perfectly intact today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story and how nice you have the photos. You remind me of my daughter. She decided to go to Nepal when she was 18 years old on her own. She has always been very adventurous but this trip made me very nervous. She mostly meets other young people in hostels to travel together and this time too she met another girl to go with. All went well and she returned safely, but years later she told me stories about a mountain walk with scary animals following them and they had to climnb in a tree... To be a mother is not easy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the closer human photos are quite good. Great that you kept a journal and can match things up. Even at a young age, I would never have embarked on such an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos are fantastic. The colours are just so vivid. And they seem so young. Brilliant memories and so good you kept a diary to record everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have those photos to jog your memory about such an epic trip. They are in better condition than mine from the same era. I’m trying to imagine that bus ride from Istanbul to Delhi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful adventure. Looks like a hard life for the natives. Too bad all those natives didn't get to see the pictures of themselves and their families. Today with digital, they could have. How fortunate was that invitation? I was smiling at your description of Dougal Hasten but the smile left my face at the next sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to be able to see your memories and what a great trip it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you were an adventurer at a young age but what memories you must have. The photos are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shots. A part of the world I'd love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What an adventure ~ awesome post and photos ~ wonderful memories shared ~ ^_^

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing archival photographs.
    Great post :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this and the following (later) post so much. What a wild and wonderful adventure. You had those travel genes from a young age ... and also the ability to document your adventures very well with your camera (and, I assume, good notes. And/or a terrifically good memory).

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.