Monday 4 May 2020

The Virtual walk


This week I should have been in Norfolk on the annual long distance walk with five other walkers. This is our annual get together and is planned months in advance.  Paul had once again done an excellent job sourcing transport, accommodation and places to eat. Who could possibly have guessed that it would have to be cancelled because of a pandemic. It wasn't going to be a difficult walk as Norfolk is mainly flat.  It was a 90 mile walk taking us through the countryside and then along the coast. Of course, once lockdown was in sight we knew we wouldn't be able to do the walk this year. However, Jim suggested covering the mileage during our daily walks. He volunteered to collate the distance we covered each day and then he would let us know where we would be on the walk. We started last Thursday doing however many miles we could. A couple of the group are remaining within the home, either using a treadmill or counting steps. The rest of us are doing our usual daily walk of 2 or 3 miles.  But we are all a little competitive and the mileage seems to be creeping up.
Living at my daughter's I am fortunate to have easy access to woodland making extended walks away from others much easier. So on Sunday I walked 8 miles bringing my total to 19.5 miles











I haven't walked that far for a couple of months so I was tired by the time I got home. Not quite the same as walking with the group but I count myself fortunate that I can escape the lockdown with country walks.
Sharing with Our World Tuesday

17 comments:

  1. Hello, pretty views and photos from your walk. I am sorry your annual walk had to be canceled. 90 miles is long distance. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a happy new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry you can't have your planned hike but I did enjoy your local one, nice views

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate being able to get out and walk too. We don't stray too far but it does help. I'm glad you are able to get some time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea, to have your walk done separately but still together in spirit. I enjoyed your walk and the lovely pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you are lucky to have a nice open space for walking. Wow 9 miles is a good walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather liked that notice. "We are closely monitoring this" when in fact they are not. I think few people would undertake what you do. Most around here walk their dogs up and down the road. Genuine walkers in the countryside are no problem. We are being lied to big time by Big Brother. Go out and stay clear, it's what we do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I needed that long walk, but with the virtual walk you toured us with, I feel extra happy with such views of nature! I especially love that stone chapel, looks very peaceful, I wanna go inside and pray at peace :)

    Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nine miles is pretty impressive especially after a long down time. You have a lovely place to walk and I like the fact that your group is doing it also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful surroundings for a walk ! My scrabble friends scrabble together online now, my husband joined in, I don't like scrabble on a computer and I am too busy with my blogs and photos !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful country walk with you ~ lovely photos ~ Do you miss the city????

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Hopefully you'll be back with your walking partners next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice you have this joint project to keep you all moving and inspired. What a disappointment though, on top of your trip to Asia. My goal is 20 miles a week and I have made it every week since the second week of March. Recording miles is what keeps me faithful. Silly probably but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. On my daily walks, I am seeing things in the neighborhood I have lived in for 10 years, for the first time. We need to keep. moving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I long for more country peace like your outing. Yesterday, I had runners wheezing and huffing behind me. They weren't wearing masks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your walk and the lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great idea...keeping in touch with your group and giving you a goal for your daily walks. It is getting difficult to motivate myself on my neighborhood walks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.