Wednesday 25 March 2020

Safe but not at home.

Today is the day I was due to fly home from Thailand had I gone on my trip to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. I'm not sure which country I would have been stranded in but I know I would not have been able to get home. So however much money I lost by cancelling is irrelevant now. Being safe at home is worth its weight in gold.
The alternative trip that I am currently posting about should have lasted a couple of weeks but everything was changing so quickly that in the end I was away for 8 days and did not visit friends as I had intended. I did not visit restaurants but ate breakfast and dinner in my hotel room. The risks were increasing daily. When I returned to London we had a family discussion and decided it would be better if I moved in with my daughter and family as she has a chronic illness and needs support and protection. So here I am,  unsure for how long, home schooling and food shopping. So busy that it's difficult finding time for blogging!

14 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are okay and safe. I shudder to think how hard it would have been to get home if you had gone. It's also good that you can be with family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel is a nightmare.. people are stuck in liners off the coast of foreign countries or taken off planes and put in dismal quarantine sites. Food is available but medical care is often not.

    Wishing your daughter all the best, given she is probably more vulnerable than the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In retrospect it was better that you didn't go. So you made the right decision. Hopefully you and your family will all stay healthy and happy. Come back to blogging when you are ready to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, sorry your trip was shortened but it is nice to be home safe and with your family. Take care and be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely made the right decision. Being at your daughter's will be a help for both of you should either of you or anyone in the family get it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you didn’t get stuck in Asia all alone. Even if you didn’t get sick it would not have been a fun experience. I know you are enjoying the time spent with your daughter and grandchildren and that’s it a lot of fun for them, too, having you there. Hoping and praying you all stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear that is a sad situation. I hope you and your daughter stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you didn't go. Here are many people stranded in far countries unable to return home. The government is trying to repatriate them with planes. Better to stay with your family at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made the right decisions, as in not going abroad, curtailing your trip here and moving in with family. I'm sure they are glad to have you around. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo. You are doing an excellent thing! It is incredible how much touching is involved when food shopping by you and others before those groceries get home. Now there is a lot of thinking involved. Now I visually scan fruits and vegetables instead of testing by hand. Now I pick up only what I intend to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so sorry this ruined your travel plans. I have many friends who had to cancel trips. Not only are they and you mourning your trip....now we are all faced with this. Stay safe..and thanks for the ideas for Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had the right instinct, that you didn't travel to Thailand ! From what I have seen of your UK trip to me it seems more interesting I am not so for asiatic countries, don't know why ! It's good to stay with your daughter, because once locked in you can't get out !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am pleased to read that you are okay and safe.
    In the present circumstances it is good that you can be with family.

    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.