Sunday 1 March 2020

Golden Square, Soho

Golden Square in Soho has a long history having been laid out in the 17th century. During the 1700s many foreign diplomatic envoys lived around the square. Charles Dickens chose it for  the setting of the gloomy home of Ralph Nickelby in his book Nicholas Nickelby in 1839. By the end of the 19th century the area was home  to the wool trade. By 1900 there were at least 70 firms connected with the yarn trade based in the square.  During WW2 an air raid shelter was dug under the square. After the war the gardens were restored and open to the public in 1952. 

Modern sculptures currently on display in the garden. Quite bizarre really.

The roses were gifted to the City of Westminster from Sophia, Bulgaria in 1972.




The statue was erected in the garden in 1753 and is thought to be Charles II

13 comments:

  1. Lots of hard surfaces. I wondered if it was also called Soho Square, where aitches are dropped everywhere, but no, different squares. I've seen photos of the metal sculptures before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those sculptures of the ladies underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, looks like a pretty square/garden. I like the sculptures and statues. The roses will be beautiful in bloom. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see historic areas still being cared for. Trying to "figure" the meaning of the sculptures. Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, interesting sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sculptures don't fit at all and as you say they are bizar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! I also read previous post about your future travels...be safe!
    ,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful historical post and delightful photos ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quite like the sculptures. Although I also do agree with you on the bizarre...

    Is the shelter still there or did they fill it up again after the war?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the first time I've seen bras in a sculpture park. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely place for a stroll! I have to say that undies aren't my first thought when I hear 'art' :)


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.