Monday 4 November 2019

Tresco

The Isles of Scilly off the SW coast of England is the UK's largest archipelago. There are about 140 islands, most of them just rocky outcrops providing a haven for wildlife and sea birds. Five of the islands are inhabited and as long as the weather is OK you can visit them by boat from the island I'm staying on, St Mary's. The B and B where I was staying received a daily timetable showing which islands would be accessible by boat that day with the times of outgoing and return sailings.  All things on the islands were reliant on weather and tides. As the weather was looking good I took the boat to the island of Tresco.

Tresco is a small family run island. In 1834 the Duchy of Cornwall leased the islands to Augustus Smith, a Hertfordshire squire. He successfully brought prosperity to the islands. He built his home Tresco Abbey alongside an old priory and also created a world class garden with plants from around the world. The Tresco abbey garden is internationally known for its sub tropical flora and fauna and a place I was keen to visit. Today Robert Dorrien Smith and his wife Lucy run the business as the Tresco Estate. There is a community of about 150 people permanently living on the island.




The islands are small enough to walk around in a few hours. This is my first visit to the Isles of Scilly and I couldn't believe how beautiful the beaches are with their white sands and turquoise sea.









I stopped at this beachside cafe for lunch which was absolutely delicious. Should have taken a photo but had eaten it before I thought of taking a photo!

However, this was the view from my table.


After lunch I carried on walking around the island.




I left the coast here and walked inland to the Tresco Abbey Gardens


The Abbey entrance.


This small decorative bridge takes you into the gardens. So follow me as I walk around.

Red squirrels. I only see grey ones where I live.




A shell decorated summer house.



























































There were numerous pheasants strolling through the undergrowth.






I returned to the pier in time to catch the last boat back to St Mary's. Time to say goodbye to Tresco with its fabulous beaches and beautiful garden. I wonder what the other islands have to offer.



24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! Your pictures are simply stunning. Thank you so much for taking me along with you to this gorgeous island. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would have been something for me ! I love littles islands and the nature, we only have red squirrels here, the first grey one I saw in the garden of my son in London. I found them so big !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about the Isles of Scilly but never been there - it looks so green- lots of long beach walks and space. what a great day out. I bet you enjoyed lunch at that little café after all your adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful collection of photos, the photo of the outside cafe is so lovely,
    not to mention the Gardens! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at island and beaches but then you added gardens and I'm in love

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so lovely! Where are all the people? I would think those gardens would be such a draw to see. And why are the islands able to grow tropical plants?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been to these islands.
    Loved seeing all of your photographs and how sweet to see that red squirrel.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks so nice. The abbey was built next to an old priory, so the islands have been settled for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A most perfect getaway for the day. And such beautiful scenes and landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A most perfect getaway for the day. And such beautiful scenes and landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A most perfect getaway for the day. And such beautiful scenes and landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. Most people would love to retire to such an island, so that life would be filled with beautiful gardens, clean beaches and no pollution. But when you stop dreaming, you realise the population is too small and the ferry too infrequent. Never mind. Let me dream on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous, peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I am amazed. Off of the English coast you say? So beautiful and tropical. Who knew? I may have to get out or google a map!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I visited the islands a number of times when I was a twitcher. Fresco is one of the nicer islands with beautiful sandy beaches. Thanks for taking me back there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who would have thought that an isle off the coast of England could hold such tropical splendor. Just beautiful and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos! And what a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How utterly lovely. the shell-decorated house is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful gardens and white sand beaches. They must have a warmer climate than I imagined as I see palm trees in the gardens. The first butterfly looks quite tropical, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful ... I’m learning so much from this trip of yours .... had no idea about these islands; I’m loving it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.