Saturday 2 November 2019

Isles of Scilly

After a few days in Cornwall I bid farewell to my friend who was returning to London via train and I went off to Newquay airport where I left the car and took a flight to the Scilly Isles. This small group of islands is 28 miles off the SW tip of England. You can fly to the islands from Land's End, Newquay or Exeter or a ferry from Penzance. I had chosen to stay on the island of St Mary's, the largest at 2.5 square miles.

I was due to fly at 2pm but had received a phone call the previous day to say it was unlikely my flight would be going due to high winds that were forecast. Instead my booking had been changed to 8am to ensure I got onto the island. There were 13 of us on the flight plus the two pilots and the flight took just over 20 mins.




















So as dawn was breaking, it was goodbye to Cornwall.
and hello to the Scilly Isles. We were only flying st 500 ft so the views were great.






We landed on the island of St Mary's and there were taxis waiting to take passengers to their accommodation as part of the Skybus service.

This is Pelistry Cottage, the B and B, where I would be staying for the next few nights















Just one row of houses separates the front of the cottage from the sea.

 Behind the cottage and another row of houses is this view of the sea. I am staying at the narrowest part of the island.

15 comments:

  1. You just continue to have one adventure after another... go for it, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming BNB and I hope you show us lots more of the island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, the views from above are fantastical in the early morning. How lucky you are to be in Europe from where you have relatively easy access to so many fascinating places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep learning about parts of the UK I never heard of before. This looks like it was a very good trip. I look forward to hearing more about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to hearing what you did on the island.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there twice and loved it. We even had a travel compaion on one occasion, Mrs Wilson, wife of Harold. The driver asked if we minded if he dropped her off first we said no problem. He go out took her bag and just wallked straight into her little bungalow. We even went along to see Harold Wilsons grave as well. We flew by Helicopter which was great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice trip to an unknown area to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to read about this latest adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your posts, what a quaint island and a lovely B&B you are staying in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flying gives one an opportunity to see beauty from the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a *real* coastal vacation....you are about as close to the sea as you could be without sleeping rough! Wow, it’s beautiful and that was some flight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you got spam above my comment!
    I'm thinking I've heard of this island. I think it was in a mystery I read. Look forward to learning more from your next posts. I'm still working on my Barcelona posts. Had granddaughter here last week. They left this morning for home. It was a great visit. At 2 she's learning so many words. We can communicate most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the views from the plane :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m catching up— didn’t realize I had gotten behind on your blog. You do find the most interesting places to visit! I had no idea one could visit these islands and now I’m off to read their history.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.