Sunday 26 August 2018

Notting Hill Carnival

Notting Hill Carnival has taken place in London since 1966. With an average of one million visitors each day, it is one of the biggest street festivals in the world. It takes place on the last Sunday and Monday in August which is a bank holiday. I have never visited the Carnival as I would often be away from London and also put off by the numbers of people attending. This year I decided I would go and see it for myself. The carnival takes place throughout a number of roads in the Notting Hill area. Partly in the shadow of the Grenfell tower.  It was a year ago on  the 14th June 2017 that 72 people died when the 24 storey block of flats caught fire. The local community were determined the victims would not be forgotten and there were many reminders on the carnival streets.

 I was there early. Most of the shops were closed and boarded up for the event.













Last minute decorations were still being put up.


 Time for a breather.







 Numerous huge trucks were filled with speakers. The sound just travelled through your whole body. Parents were advised to have ear defenders for their children.














Some people took advantage of the situation. However, there were numerous free blocks of these brightly painted toilets brought in
for the weekend.

























Music and dancing was everywhere

Interesting costume.


About an hour before the parade began the rain came down. It wasn't just a shower it was a real downpour that just went on and on.























 







I only saw a small part of the parade. The carnival goes on for hours and again tomorrow but I was soaked and decided to call it a day. It was interesting to see, but sad, that after all the sunshine we have had this Summer, today was so wet. However, everyone was in high spirits and very friendly. Maybe next time I go, I will choose a sunnier day.

23 comments:

  1. Sad the rain spoiled the party, we had the same here, it was as if the rain decided to come down in full speed after 3 months of heat. We had a street party in Amsterdam aswell with a big bookmarket. I decided to stay home Saturday but Sunday it was all clear again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the weather was better the next day. I suppose the idea of the carnival is people getting together and having fun and hopefully they still did, in spite of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like everyone was having a great time, even with all the rain. Like you said, it figures that it would rain even though it's been so dry until now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not suppose to rain on a parade but it looks like everyone just ignored it and had a good time anyway. Great costumes and displays. Glad the victims were remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain or shine the fun went on! It’s a good idea getting there early for an event like this ...fun to watch some of the prep and not quite as crowded....and even if you personally were rained out, you’d already caught lots of color and human interest. Great pictures... I, by the way, would have wanted some ear defenders as well! (Well Advised for children and senior citizens).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lot of fun even with the rain. You really caught the personality of the carnival. I was in Notting Hill in 1990 during the poll tax riots. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a million people each day!! Some party, I might go next year and charge 2.50 a pound for toilets, but $10 for line jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like fun - rain won't dampen the carnival spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting carnival and lots of fun things to see. Thanks for sharing. I think I wouldn't like to be among so many people - I've lived out here for too long!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful shots of the carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a bit sad to see a festival like that in the rain, even if the people participating will most likely have a great time anyway. And appreciate that hot shower afterwards even more!

    On Sunday morning there was a large cycle event in my area and I felt so sorry for the about 2000 cyclists: it was absolutely tipping it down! If I had been entered I might have just forgot about the whole thing, but they were made of sturdier stuff and I saw a lot come past!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like the rain didn't dampen the fun too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad about the rain but it looked very festive anyway. I think you are brave to venture into a crowd of a million people, although the numbers were probably held down by the weather. Must have been tough on the beautiful costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like fun even with the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wanted to see that too, but never made it !! A pity that it rained, after all the drought !
    I am still a little tired I think at my age it's normal, and only half here ! It had been such a wonderful trip ! So well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bummer that they had such nasty weather. I don't like to visit any place during a festival. Crowds tend to put me on overload...but I know most folks feel differently. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun time and photos despite the rain ~ Weather is erratic everywhere ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry you didn't pick the best day but looks like there was lot of fun going on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice event! Too bad it was raining and you couldn’t stay longer. The toilet prices were absurd, especially the queue jump!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.