Friday 31 August 2018

150 years of Smithfield Market

Last Saturday I went to Smithfield's meat market where it was celebrating its 150th birthday with a street party.

I arrived early so I could wander around before the crowds started to gather.












Lots of different food stalls were being set up.




I had not heard of this one before but I like the idea behind it.






I opted for breakfast at the Smithfield cafe. Bacon roll and cup of tea for half the price of just a drink in the Costa or Starbuck type cafes.

A stage had been set up in the main entrance to the market for live bands to perform. 



Lots of rides for the children






An area for the children to have fun making their own music.





HRH the King of meat.


A roller skating arena had just opened.

The giant birthday cake.














There was a brass band playing songs from musicals with lots of deck chairs so I could relax and enjoy the music.














By lunch time the crowds were arriving.
Time for me to go home.

11 comments:

  1. It's the building architecture that particularly draws my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as a nice market ! Made me laugh because you called it "Meat" Market and then I saw a "Vegan" booth !! BTW I have seen "Starbuck" in St. Petersburg !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something to see and do for everyone. That King of meat, yek, all that meat on his head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I would love to attend, since I did see that they do have some veggie offerings, even at the meat festival. I laughed at the Meat King's outfit, especially his headdress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was certainly enough to keep the whole family entertained. And fed! I am hungry now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something for everyone there that could keep one busy all day. Like you though, I'd probably leave when the crowds picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking that Smithfield Market is where meat is auctioned off quite cheaply. The birthday event looks well planned and organised. The mind boggles at the crowning piece of meat on the forehead of the King of Meat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surprised they let a vegan stall set up lol. Looks a fun day. One of our nephews who works a night shift does a Smithfield's run prior to our big family holiday. We get through a lot of food while we're away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like fun. I love the area set up for children to make music. And I've never heard of a food program like that to help prisoners develop a skill to support themselves when they get out. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is quite a celebration! I like the Ball and Chain idea....maybe it is teaching the prisoners a trade they can use.. if the ever get out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant the way you get to these celebrations early ... better picture ops, you can enjoy the entertainment as it starts (the band is fresh, the crowd noise is less...) . The whole thing looks fun. I too smiled at the Vegan booth.... I'm somewhere in between the meat king and that! The re-hab food cart is a good idea -- people need to learn a trade.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.