Wednesday 9 May 2018

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek


The age of Bronze  (Rodin)
The Carlsberg art museum is in the centre of Copenhagen. It displays both ancient and modern art. I was keen to have a look at the modern collection and was bowled over by the French Impressionist paintings as well as the Rodin sculptures and Degas' bronzes. The Museum was opened in 1888 by Carl Jacobsen the brewer. From the profits generated by his brewery NY Carlsberg he built up a large collection of art and cultural artefacts. Believing that everyone's lives could be enriched by art he gave his art collection to the public and built museum to house it all. These were my favourites.



Victor Hugo (Rodin)


Three Sirens (Rodin)



Eternal Spring (Rodin)











Degas' bronzes





























 These ceramics are all by Paul Gaugain
























11 comments:

  1. Beautiful works. My favourite is Monet's pyramids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, you lucky duck! What an eyeful to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a collection. Now as to the Degas of the dancer I have seen that in a museum near here. I guess he cast more than one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! A must see museum..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing collection there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems he is still enriching lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much beautiful art! I was struck by how many statues were of women standing on one leg. So lovely. Thank you for all these pictures, so I could enjoy them, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pink roses and the bronze ballerinas. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bronze dancers. He really was a great artist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Impressionist time is my favourite ! I have been in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, Degas and Gauguin I saw in Paris and some in Brussels. Van Gogh is my favourite !

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an amazing collection ... it's so nice to know that he gave it to the public. The one artist of "the Flood" (Sisely) I'd never heard of and must go look him up. Thank you for leading the tour! You are always a good virtual docent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.