Monday 21 May 2018

Malmo

When I was in Copenhagen a few weeks ago, my friend and I decided to go to Malmo in Sweden for the day. This is very easy now that there is a bridge linking Denmark and Sweden. This is the Oresund Bridge. It is the longest combined railway and road bridge in Europe. I travelled by train which only took 35 mins. I was hoping to see the bridge but of course the only views I got were of the sea on either side of the of the bridge.




The harbour in Malmo. Unfortunately you can't see the bridge from here either

Øresund Bridge from the air in September 2015.jpg
(wikipedia)
The bridge runs almost 8 km from the Swedish coast to the artificial island Peberholm in the middle of the strait. The rest of the journey is through a tunnel




Cycles aplenty in Malmo.

We walked from the main rail station across the canal and into the town.







In the main Square is  Malmo town Hall built between 1544-1547 restored in 1860











 The oldest pharmacy was founded in 1571

Next door to the main square is Lillla Torg a beautiful cobblestone square.
There are a number of bars and restaurants in this historic market square.






It was such a beautiful day that we sat in the square enjoying a meal and a couple of drinks watching the world go by, before it was time to get the train back to Copenhagen.



22 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos of your travels ~ love the yellow building with wood frame! Bridge is fascinating!

    Happy Day to you,
    C & Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those amazing photos - the architecture is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you all your travels, I will travel along vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an elegant, interesting-looking, place Malmo is. I'd be quite happy to explore - after a few beers watching the world go by, of course. That bridge is stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went by bus over The Bridge! It was a very, very long one! Great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great looking town - the island where the tunnel goes under the sea looks very science fiction!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots of Malmö. It's been a while since I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, the bridge-tunnel road is great. A nice way to travel between Denmark and Sweden. I like the square and statues. The old pharmacy is really neat. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do get about my friend. I never know where you might be from one week to the next. I do enjoy meeting Scandinavians when we travel. they seem such open, friendly people.

    Nice photos as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it was a good visit. There’s a bridge tunnel across the Chesapeake Bay that is similar to the one you were on. No trains on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the lighthouse, and the half-timbered buildings reminiscent of Olde England, but I especially like the bridge. I've always been fond of bridges, since I saw one being built when I was a youngster. I was so impressed by the centre part, which lifted up to allow water traffic to pass underneath.
    Now that I know there's a bridge-plus-tunnel from Denmark to Sweden, I'm intrigued! I'd love to see Sweden, perhaps to meet our very own Fiona.
    Thanks for the inspiration! (Fiona might not thank me if I show up on her doorstep unannounced, except by the dogs, of course.)
    A thoroughly enjoyable post today!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. You show me what I probably will see in August on my roundtrip through the North !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still want to visit Malmo some day. I was quite close once, but could only see the twisted torso tower from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bridge/tunnel seems like quite a feat of engineering, and there are architectural delights to be enjoyed at the end of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At first, it looked like a bridge to nowhere. That's impressive engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great trip. I still can't over that island in the middle of the strait and how the train track/road just disappears into the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is quite the bridge. We can't even get to the nearest State in 35 minutes! A nice train trip and the walk from the station reminds me of your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting way to travel to Sweden. Amazing it only takes 35 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You were in Sweden! I hope you have enjoyed your day enough so that you want to return for longer time next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.